Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iTunes sync HD television episodes to iPad?

I know that when you buy an HD television series via iTunes, you get both HD and SD versions. When syncing with an iPad, which version is transferred? HD, SD, or both?

The reason I ask is this: I am thinking of purchasing Law & Order: Los Angeles in HD. I don't want to have to spring for an external HD just to back that up, so I figure I'd use my iPad for that purpose - not necessarily to WATCH the show on the iPad, just keep the files there in case my hard drive is ever erased (and then I could get the show off the iPad via Transfer Purchases). So when I sync the iPad with my computer, which version of the show - HD, SD, or both - will be put on the iPad?

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 5:22 PM

7 replies

Jun 15, 2011 5:32 PM in response to Kappy

So I can sync both HD and SD versions to the iPad? How do I tell iTunes I want to do that?

Also, how can I tell how much space I will need? iTunes doesn't say how many GB's of space this show will need.

The reason I don't use an external HD for this is this: I just don't have enough stuff that I need to back up. What I do have, easily fits in my free Dropbox folder. With that, PodWorks, and a fresh OSX install, I can easily reconstruct my setup in a short time.

Jun 15, 2011 5:48 PM in response to Babaganoosh

Rename the files. Put an "SD" or "HD" at the end of the filename so you can easily identify which is which.

Look at the file sizes in the Finder. That's how much space is needed. If each SD file is 50 MBs and each HD file is 150 MBs, then each show requires 200 MBs of storage space. Ten shows would use 2 GBs. Of course this is just an example since I don't know how big the files actually are.

Do you not have a backup drive for your computer? If you don't then you are angling for problems. But that's your choice.

Does iTunes sync HD television episodes to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.