Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac coming!

And it's coming 4 weeks early!

I'd like to use the migration assistant this time. I'm getting an SSD machine. I have already stripped my drive down to 182 GB roughly. Is that an ok ratio for a 256 GB SSD system drive?

I found this document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413#2

Is there anything I need to consider or prepare to have a smooth transition?

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.6.5), Iphone 4, iPad 3G

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 6:22 PM

10 replies

Jun 15, 2011 7:15 PM in response to flavius99

Flavius99,

Your clone from CCC should work just fine however DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use Migration Assistant. Please use Setup Assistant. Setup Assistant will start when you turn on the machine for the first time. Migration Assistant and Setup Assistant are cousins, similar but different. First SA tends to be more reliable and it also does not create a new user account. Please look over Setup Assistant tips and when the new machine arrives you should be all set and be up and running very shortly. If your Clone is a FireWire or FireWire 800 drive that will make it faster however if it's USB that will work too. Just make sure you have the correct cable when it arrives. If you are not sure let us know the type of connection the drive has and we can point you in the right direction.

Jun 15, 2011 8:42 PM in response to flavius99

Just did a Setup Assistant transition to my new iMac which arrived today. Very smooth.

My source was a Time Machine backup of my MBP. In preparation, I closed down all apps, disconnected the network, did a final backup prior to shutting down the MBP.

In my case not all MBP data will fit on the SSD, so I had some choices to make. Pictures and videos will go on HDD. Also Downloads. Aperture library is on SSD with referenced masters currently on USB disk, to be relocated to HDD.

New iMac coming!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.