Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best external drive?

I wondered why my Mini was running slower and slower. Apparently it had to do with my external drive expiring. It was a 200 GB LaCie at least 5 years old. So now I need to replace it (probably with a bigger one).

What's the current favorites? I'm alarmed by how many reviews mention drives going dead within a year. Is quality less than what it was?

Should I get a backup drive for my backup drive? Have a cloud backup as a secondary backup? Or just exhibit more self-discipline in making DVD backups of important files?

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 10:00 PM

You can never have too many backups.

Basic Backup

Get an external drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

Carbon Copy Cloner

Data Backup

Deja Vu

Silver Keeper

Retrospect

Super Flexible File Synchronizer

SuperDuper!

Synchronize Pro! X

Synk Pro

Synk Standard

Tri-Backup

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

Although you can buy a complete external drive system, you can also put one together if you are so inclined. It's relatively easy and only requires a Phillips head screwdriver (typically.) You can purchase hard drives separately. This gives you an opportunity to shop for the best prices on a hard drive of your choice. Reliable brands include Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, Toshiba, and Fujitsu. You can find reviews and benchmarks on many drives at Storage Review.

Enclosures for FireWire and USB are readily available. You can find only FireWire enclosures, only USB enclosures, and enclosures that feature multiple ports. I would stress getting enclosures that use the Oxford chipsets especially for Firewire drives (911, 921, 922, for example.) You can find enclosures at places such as;

Cool Drives

OWC

WiebeTech

Firewire Direct

California Drives

NewEgg

All you need do is remove a case cover, mount the hard drive in the enclosure and connect the cables, then re-attach the case cover. Usually the only tool required is a small or medium Phillips screwdriver.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2011 10:00 PM in response to taueva

You can never have too many backups.

Basic Backup

Get an external drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

Carbon Copy Cloner

Data Backup

Deja Vu

Silver Keeper

Retrospect

Super Flexible File Synchronizer

SuperDuper!

Synchronize Pro! X

Synk Pro

Synk Standard

Tri-Backup

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

Although you can buy a complete external drive system, you can also put one together if you are so inclined. It's relatively easy and only requires a Phillips head screwdriver (typically.) You can purchase hard drives separately. This gives you an opportunity to shop for the best prices on a hard drive of your choice. Reliable brands include Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, Toshiba, and Fujitsu. You can find reviews and benchmarks on many drives at Storage Review.

Enclosures for FireWire and USB are readily available. You can find only FireWire enclosures, only USB enclosures, and enclosures that feature multiple ports. I would stress getting enclosures that use the Oxford chipsets especially for Firewire drives (911, 921, 922, for example.) You can find enclosures at places such as;

Cool Drives

OWC

WiebeTech

Firewire Direct

California Drives

NewEgg

All you need do is remove a case cover, mount the hard drive in the enclosure and connect the cables, then re-attach the case cover. Usually the only tool required is a small or medium Phillips screwdriver.

Jun 16, 2011 3:48 PM in response to Kappy

Backup:

I don't know what you mean by a "bootable clone/backup."

I was using my now defunct external drive to back up my HD using Time Machine. Unfortunately I was also using it to hold my iPhoto Library so as not to use up space on my HD. I had been manually backing iPhoto up to DVD but not in the last few months. To avoid this loss in the future, since I can't get a larger drive for the Mini, is the best remedy getting a second external drive and using Carbon Copy Cloner or similar for backing up the iPhoto Library?

Among the brands listed above, does any one or two stand out as being the most reliable? I am alarmed at how many reviews describe an external drive going dead in a very short time.

Jun 16, 2011 4:09 PM in response to taueva

Bootable Clone: An exact duplicate of your system volume that will also startup the computer.

May I ask why you can't get a larger hard drive for the Mini?

Of what I've recommended any product is fine. Most external drives may die because of enclosure failures rather than drive failures. Reviews are notoriously unreliable, especially from online forums where only complainers tend to post.

Jun 16, 2011 7:26 PM in response to Kappy

Very interesting. However, I do note that the required skill level is "advanced" -- waaay above my level.

So I've decided to get two matching external drives and set the second one to back up iPhoto from the first every month using one of the softwares you suggest.

Thanks for walking me through this.

best external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.