Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MBP 15" came with a 60w charger

I bought my 15" MBP from Best Buy in 09 and it came with a 60W charger. This week it quit working and under my warranty they will replace the charger. Well they sent me an 85W non OEM charger. I've read several reviews on aftermarket chargers and none are good. Will this one harm my laptop? It has the 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo and I heard those came with the 60W. Has anyone had this big of an issue with BB and their warranty replacement? I am a graphic designer so I have most of CS4 running a lot. I can't afford for something to go wrong with my mac.

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 11:19 PM

5 replies

Jun 16, 2011 4:56 AM in response to potophan89

15" MacBook Pros have always come with an 85 watt charger. I'm more curious with regards to what you mean by "non OEM charger" and "after market charger". To the best of my knowledge, there are no authorized chargers other than those from Apple. Are you saying they sent you a non-Apple branded charger? I'm not a big fan of BestBuy anyway, but that would seem like an odd thing for a major retailer to do.

Jun 16, 2011 5:02 AM in response to potophan89

I would definitely report it to AppleCare which Best Buy is pawning off Apple's with the wrong charger. They should send you the correct charger if they can verify it was sold as new. If it was a demo model, or a refurbished model, it is entirely possible that Best Buy bought it back from someone else who lost or damaged their charger, and mistakenly gave you the wrong charger.

My MBP 15" came with a 60w charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.