Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch - Complete Content Backup and Restore

Forgive me if I am being boneheaded, but Apple's iTunes "sync" procedure has never seemed clear and straightforward for me and I've been burned a couple of times where I had to recreate my 32GB iPod Touch's entire contents, so I'm gunshy about sync.

Here is my situation. I need to take my 2nd Generation iPod Touch in for service (to replace the headphone jack) and I imagine that will mean I will lose all current content. Before I take it in, I want to be able to backup then entire content -- including music, video, photos, ibooks, podcasts, apps, etc. -- and then restore it to the device when I get it back from service.

Here's where it gets a little confusing for me. I normally have "Manually manage music and videos" checked for my device in iTunes and prefer to NOT use "sync" to add and delete music and video.

So I'm trying to google and read apple support pages (specifically http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414) on what I need to do and I find this sentence under Backing up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

"Although iTunes backs up most of your device's settings, downloaded applications, your audio, video, and photo content are not included in the backup." [emphasis mine]

Scary.

Then it goes on to say:

"

If restoring from an iTunes backup, your device settings, downloaded applications, audio, video, and photo contents will re-sync to the device because the "Sync" option under the respective tabs will be checked in iTunes when restoring from a backup. If you choose to restore your device as a new user, downloaded applications, audio, video, and photo content will not be synced until you select the "Sync" option in iTunes under each tab.

You can manually back up or restore your iPhone or iPod touch from a backup. To do so, Control-click or right-click the iPhone or iPod touch icon on the left side of the iTunes window and choose Back Up or Restore from Backup*

I want to be able to manually mange my music and videos, but then backup and restore my ipod (which apparently includes "sync", something I never trust), and the go back to manually managing music and videos after the restoration.

So here (if you're still folowing me 🙂 ) is my question:

When I plug in my iPod and right click and choose "Back Up" while "Manually manage music and videos" is checked, and then try to later restore from that backup, does that mean my music and videos will not be included?

If so, then what do I need to do? Do I have to UNCHECK "Manually manage music and videos" before I do the backup?

When I try to do this I get an "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos ... All existing content ... will be replaced with content from your iTunes library" warning. (All the content on the iPod *is* in my iTunes library, but I chicken out and cancel at this point).

Has anyone been though this? Can you walk me through the steps of doing a complete backup and restore of everything on my iPod Touch, while manually managing music/videos, without losing any content or setttings?

Thanks in advance...

Babz

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 5:49 AM

7 replies

Jun 16, 2011 6:43 AM in response to Babz _

OP here...

OK, after reading and re-reading the Apple notes, including the link posted by the first reply to this thread, it seems clear that when you right click and choose "Backup" and then later choose "Restore from Backup" that procedure does NOT include music or videos or photos. Who knows about iBooks or Apps ... Apple seems unclear on that.

So now it seems that to save my Music and Video content I have to use "Sync" and I have to do that before I take the device in for service. But (with my heretofore manually mangaged iPod) when I select it in iTunes and attempt to check "Sync Music" or "Sync Movies" box under their respective tabs, I get this "Are you sure ... all content will be removed and replaced ..." warning. So I have to cancel.

Am I simply SOL? Is there no way to back up and restore manually managed music and videos?

Once again, I would deeply appreciate any replies from anyone who has knowledge and experience in this area.

Best,

Babz

Jun 16, 2011 8:07 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks. Some interesting third party utilities mentioned in those links. Still going throught them all. Some are Windows-only (I'm a Mac user). At least one of them claimed to be both Mac and PC, but when I clicked on the link it was Windows only.

They seemed to be mainly aimed at copying music from the iPod to a computer that doesn't contain that music. Not really my situation here.

Just to clarify. My iPod doesn't contain anything that isn't in my iTunes library on my Mac. It's just that it would take a LONG TIME if I had to copy all 32 GBs of music and movies manually back onto the iPod. And I'm not sure I would even remember exactly which tunes and video I had on there. Seems like Sync is the only way. But seems like enabling sync on a previoiusly-manually-managed iPod erases the content! I believe this is how I've gotten bitten in the past.

I'd just like to be able to have iTunes remember what I have on my iPod and then copy it back when I get my iPod back from repair. I guess I will also be faced with this problem when I eventually upgrade to a NEW iPod touch. Wish Apple just had a simply way of doing this. Maybe in iOS 5?

Best,

Babz

Jun 21, 2011 11:50 AM in response to lllaass

Just to add a denouement on this ...

Well, I got my iPod back from headphone jack repair and it appears that the procedure did NOT end up wiping my data (whew). So I never got a chance to check exactly what is included and restored when you do a restore from backup on an iPod Touch.

The main thing that I take away from this is that Apple really needs to implement some way to switch from manually managing music and videos to syncing/restoring them that doesn't wipe out your files from the ipod/phone/pad.

I am still puzzled from the apparent contradictions in this passage from Apple's notes referenced at the beginning of this thread:

"

Although iTunes backs up most of your device's settings, downloaded applications, your audio, video, and photo content are not included in the backup.

If restoring from an iTunes backup, your device settings, downloaded applications, audio, video, and photo contents will re-sync to the device because the "Sync" option under the respective tabs will be checked in iTunes when restoring from a backup."

which seems to being saying both that your audio and video content will and will not be restored, if restoring from a backup.

Fortunately, I didn't get a chance to test this. I'm hoping iOS 5 will offer a more straightforward way to go from manual to syncing that doesn't wipe your music and videos.

Cheerz,

Babz

Jun 21, 2011 1:47 PM in response to Babz _

What he article is saying:

- the apps themselves and stuff synced to the iPodiPod like music and video, are not in the backup

- When you restore, the settings for the iPod will be restored and those settings tell iTunes to sync the apps themselves, music and other stuff as part of the restore from backup process.

iPod Touch - Complete Content Backup and Restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.