Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you connect macbook to a tv?

How do i connect my macbook to a tv?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 7:13 AM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2011 8:23 AM in response to breeanafromguntersville

Which MacBook do you have? Which OS are you running? If it's a "Late 2009" or later you have a miniDisplay Port:

1.) miniDisplay Port to HDMI

2.) miniDisplay Port to DVI

3.) miniDisplay Port to VGA

4.) Apple TV connected with HDMI to the TV to stream movies / pictures / music to your TV wired or wireless over network.

Sound within the MiniDisplay Port is just supported by MacBook Mid 2010 and later.

Jun 16, 2011 11:07 AM in response to breeanafromguntersville

If your're running 10.5.8 your MacBook is likely earlier than a 2009 model so you'd need a Mini-DVI adapter unless it's a model 5,1. We need to know which model you have. To see which model you have go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select About This Mac, then click on More Info. When System Profiler comes up check the Model Identifier.

Depends on what input plug you'll be using on your TV. VGA, DVI, Composite or HDMI.

You'll need a Mini-DVI adapter and a cable from that to your TV. Here's the various types of Mini-DVI adapters on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=min i-dvi&x=9&y=13

You'll also need audio cables to the TV for VGA, DVI or Composite. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=min i-dvi&x=9&y=13#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=macboo k+audio+cable&sprefix=macbook+audio+cable&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amacbook+audio+cable

If you connect the MacBook using a MiniDVI to HDMI adapter you will probably need to use external speakers or a stereo system for audio. The Mini-DVI to HDMI doesn't carry audio and there're no audio plugs on most TVs to work with HDMI since it's expecting audio with the HDMI.

P.S. Composite is the red, white and yellow RCA plugs on your TV or red, white and S-Video plugs.

Oct 18, 2011 4:36 AM in response to frederic1943

The big port on the left side of the image is an DVI output. So you can just get an DVI to HDMI cable to connect your MacBook Pro to and HDMI TV.

For the audio just get another cable 3,5mm headphone to cinch, or an adapter which would grab the audio from the 3,5mm (stereo) or USB (5.1) and sends it together with the video signal over the HDMI cable (like that or that).

how do you connect macbook to a tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.