Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the device failed to calibrat the laser power level for this media

Hi,

Does anyone knows what this means:

"the device failed to calibrat the laser power level for this media"

And, any selutions for it?

Thinks.

Ed

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 7:15 AM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2011 2:55 PM in response to EDLIU

It means exactly what it says: the laser lens could not be 'focused' on the media. This can be for a varety of reasons, including:

Your Superdrive needs a clean: any CD/DVD lens cleaner using tiny brushes will do the job.

You are using poor quality media: most of us here recommend Verbatim, Maxell, Fuji or Taiyo Juden DVD-R, and a burn speed of no more than 4x

Jun 17, 2011 3:47 PM in response to greg sahli

Pure voodoo, but heck, it's worth a try!

Just to simplify:

Open System Preferences.

Click on "International"

Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top,

then drag English back to the top.

Set "Order for sorted lists" to English

Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)

Close System Preferences

Restart computer

Thanks Greg!

Jan 21, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Klaus1

I was VERY leary of trying this - because . . . so off the beatin path for something to do with a laser issue - But IT WORKED ! I had stopped using my burner for over a year now and used another system to burn what I needed. I had techs at APPLE open it up and tell me my CDRW was just bad and required replacement.

I came across a few threads in MacTalk / MacRumors and such, about blowing compressed air through the area to clean the laser eye, that didn't work. I then ran across this unique thread to change around the language pref and it works fine . . .

thanx so much for sharing the thread Klaus

the device failed to calibrat the laser power level for this media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.