Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Recapturing Footage

No doubt this question has been answered several times already, but I can't find an answer that suits my circumstances so I apologise if any one is going over old ground.

I'm cutting tasters for a media company. There are usually about 5/6 tapes to capture for what often ends up as a 3 minute sequence. Sometimes, even months later, I'll need to go back to the project and make another version… so I need to keep my entire capture scratch on an external hard-drive somewhere.

What I've been doing, foolishly, is burning GBs by taking in whole tapes in good quality, expecting to be able to delete the media once the edit is complete. Unfortunately, my employers would like me to keep the capture scratch so I can make tweaks and changes as and when the need arrises.

So what I'd like to start doing is taking in up to five tapes in low quality to keep permanently (RT Offline looks good for this) and then take in only what I've isolated in my sequence in full quality (ProRes422 looks good for this). That way, I can keep going back to the original project file, put together another sequence, and capture it in full quality if I need another version of the taster.

Can someone help me figure out, once I've captured my DV tapes tapes in RT Offline PAL Anamorphic, how to isolate and recapture only what's in my sequence - without disrupting the original offline capture scratch footage?

A) Do I select my sequence and batch capture? - because Final Cut seems to want to batch capture everything I've already already taken in, ignoring the sequence I've selected.

B) Do I have to use Media Manager to create new offline media, based only on what's in my sequence, and then take that into a new project file to batch capture only those clips? - and if so, how do I do that?

C) Or is there some other way that I'm missing?

Thanks a lot for your assistance,

S

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 9:52 AM

2 replies

Jun 17, 2011 4:35 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael,

I think I see what you mean - so I'd do a media manage, copying my files and creating a new 'online' project, deleting unused capture scratch for that new project only? Because otherwise I'd be deleting all of the low quality capture scratch I want to keep for later projects!

I just gave it a go, seemed to work - the only issues I had were:

A) The sequence setting wouldn't update to match the footage in the new project, magnifying my full resolution footage onto the smaller offline sequence, which - had I made zooms and swipes using basic motion keyframes - might have messed up the parameters.

B) It only seemed I was able to batch capture in DV Pal Anamorphic, even though I can export and convert stuff using ProRes422, I seem to be unable to capture in this format - am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a codec?

Again, thanks a lot for the assistance!

S

Help Recapturing Footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.