Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pedal plays an E???

I have Garageband11, and have a Yamaha YDP140 electric piano, plus standard MIDI to USB Cable. For some reason, it is recognising the sustain pedal as a note. Can someone please help me with how to make this stop please?

MacBook

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 2:26 PM

10 replies

May 20, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Cheadle83

Have you been able to solve your problem? I have this problem too and although I have searched many online forums I haven't been able to solve it. Here is a description of what happens with my Yamaha P-155 when I hook it up to a Macbook Pro using a USB to MIDI adapter cable:

INITIAL PROBLEM POSTED

I am using a MIDI to USB adapter to connect a Yamaha P-155 Keyboard to a Macbook laptop. The adapter works in Garageband and Synthesia. The sustain pedal on the keyboard is not working properly with this setup. Instead of sustaining the notes, when I depress the pedal it plays a note by itself (E3 or E4) and mixes up different sounds. I don't have experience with MIDI so am clueless as to what is happening. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

EQUIPMENT

• Yamaha P-155 Keyboard

• Apple Macbook dual 2.4 Ghz 2010 model

• Unbranded USB to MIDI adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IJ5FEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)

SOFTWARE

• Garageband 2011

• MAC OS X Lion 10.7.4

FOLLOW-UP

I've partially solved the problem by unplugging the MDI IN cable to the keyboard (=MIDI OUT from the computer). What seems to be happening is a cumulative effect between 1) and 2) whereas 1) depressing the sustain pedal is causing a note (E3 or E4) to be played, and 2) there seems to be some effect of a MIDI feedback loop where the sound goes from the keyboard to the computer, back to the keyboard and so on. Unplugging one of the MIDI cables as stated above seems to have reduced the MIDI feedback loop VOLUME but hasn't gotten rid of it. The sustain pedal trigering a note in the first place still remains the unsolved problem. Any ideas?

May 21, 2012 4:48 AM in response to brunomb

Well, my problem has been solved.

I coughed up AUD$49 and bought a branded USB-to-MIDI cable and the sustain problem has disappeared.

The name of the exact model of cable escapes me, but it was a Roland make and was accompanied by a CD containing the device driver which I duly loaded.

(Oddly enough, the fellow in the music store insisted it would have been my unbranded pedal causing the problem, but I was hesistant to accept his word as it is seemingly a simple on/off signalling pedal. It seems I was right.)

To conclude: Buy a decent USB-to-MIDI cable with drivers instead of a AUD$5 eBay job. (Although, for a tenth of the price, I guess it was worth a try.)

Sep 13, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Cheadle83

Hi there everyone. I'm having exactly the same issue and it's driving me insane. I've just recently bought a Macbook Pro 13".

Just bought the USB-MIDI cable today. It wasn't a cheap one either, cost me £30 (around $50). My pedal is a branded one, a YAMAHA FC4 pedal, and the USB-MIDI interface is branded as 'chord'.

Does anyone know any solutions other than buying a different pedal or USB-MIDI cable? I really don't want to have to do that. The pedal cost me £40 and is only a couple of years old.

Thanks for any help,

James

Pedal plays an E???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.