Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine will not back up, after disk utility checks out

Cannot backup TM to my in-computer b/up disk, or external disk (2nd copy). Both disks have been ok'd by Disk utility app. Have restarted and still the same message. The below dialogue box keeps coming up, don't know why? Anyone with similar problem or suggestions? Thanks.

User uploaded file

MacPro Quad 3.3Ghz Nehalem/SSD, 2-MB, MBP 2.8/7200 HD, 24" LED ACS, iphones, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 4:16 PM

I hate that message; it doesn't even hint that it's not telling you the whole story. 😠

Most likely, there's a damaged file it's choking on. See #C3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

13 replies

Jun 17, 2011 4:50 PM in response to Pondini

Tell me about it. Note, I double back up, to one internal, and one external to the MP. So, I am glad I have 2 b/ups.

TM would not back up to either, same message as in the dialogue box I posted. So, I knew it was not a back up disk hardware problem. I assumed.

Then, I erased one drive and then TM backed up to it.

Then, it backed up to the other disk as if nothing ever happened. Hardware or Software issue?

I appreciate the link to the Troubleshooting site. Interesting, and lengthy. Have you tried Time Machine Buddy?

Jun 18, 2011 7:07 AM in response to D3 Shooter

Thanks Shooter, back ups are on a separate volume, which is TC - 3rd generation. What is boggling me are consistent failures to back up to TC what happened only after I updated AirPort Utility to the latest version. I can enter Time Machine and browse archived files. As for the back up TC enters into preparing files routine but fails to copy them (Latest back up: Failed). I guess this is not a hardware problem. I have been using TCs since generation one and never ever had a problem. Playing with DU I discovered that TC at times appear on the side bar as folder (but not always), where I could verify consistency of files. Seems that, as the last resort and with some hesitation, I should erase the hard drive and create fresh archive.

Jun 18, 2011 7:08 AM in response to Janez Premoze

Janez Premoze wrote:

Hi there. I am experiencing exactly the same problem. It started to appear only after I installed AirPort utility 5.5.3 v. My TM (3rd gen, MBP 2010) is connected via ethernet, DU would not list it.

It sounds like you're backing-up to a Time Capsule. If so, no, Disk Utility doesn't see a network disk.

But it will see a mounted sparse bundle containing your backups on it, so you can use it to repair your backups. See #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for instructions.

Jun 18, 2011 7:11 AM in response to Janez Premoze

Janez Premoze wrote:

. . .

As for the back up TC enters into preparing files routine but fails to copy them (Latest back up: Failed).

If you're getting the same message as the one in the first post above, follow the same instructions, in the second post: see #C3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

If you're getting a different message, see #C2 in the same link.

Jun 19, 2011 2:47 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini, thanks for useful input. Followed your instructions, tried to verify spars ebundle with DU, could not get it to mount (#A5). Deleted TM preferences from root library, however with the same effect. Back up failed again. Currently backing up TM sparse bundle archive to spare hard disk, which takes forever. Next I intend to erase TM disk and make fresh archive. Thanks again.

Jun 19, 2011 7:53 AM in response to Janez Premoze

Janez Premoze wrote:

. . .

tried to verify spars ebundle with DU, could not get it to mount (#A5).

That means it's corrupted beyond OSX's ability to mount it -- there was probably a message somewhere about "unrecognizable file system." If it's that badly damaged, it's probably unrepairable.

There's a small possibility a heavy-duty 3rd-party disk repair app, such as Disk Warrior, might be able to repair it. Those utilities don't see a network HD, however, but if you connect the disk it was archived to directly to your Mac, they will see it.

Disk Warrior costs about $100, though, and while it's probably a good investment for the future, it's very unlikely to work on that sparse bundle.

Network backups are always a bit less reliable than ones made directly, as they're subject to all the vagaries of WIFI - interference, drop-outs, etc. I always recommend keeping "secondary" backups, but especially in situations like yours. See #27 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions for details and some recommendations.

Jul 17, 2011 5:07 PM in response to Pondini

I might have found possible culprit for my TM back up problems. I've been using OnOne software for some time and my problems appeared only after I installed their latest update, what obviously led to the sparse bundle corruption. Details and work arounds are available on their site http://www.ononesoftware.com/support/. I thought I may share that with you. Thanks for help anyway.

Time Machine will not back up, after disk utility checks out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.