Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I record audio using Virus TI and Apogee Duet? What is the best set up?

I am running Logic 9 with Virus TI Snow and an Apogee Duet. I have been using the Virus sound card to bounce virus sounds to audio on logic 9 but want to record the audio through the apogee sound card. How do I do this? I have tried but cant seem to monitor the sound. What is the best setup?

Also does anyone know if it will make much difference in sound quality using the Apogee sound card as opposed to the Virus?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 7:19 PM

2 replies

Jun 21, 2011 7:00 AM in response to tafoz

Hi,

I'm doing this from memory, as I'm not in front of my Mac right now.. but... The Apogee installer should have installed an "apogee" control panel app on your computer. [maybe re-install?].

In Logic's Menu, go to > Options> Open Apogee Control Panel, to open it [if it's properly installed...]

When you launch that app, it has an option on one of the screens to "monitor" your inputs and adjust levels in and out of logic and, bypass the latency that causes a recording delay when doing live vocals, etc.. You can find that how to do that if you get stuck, via goggle or on the Apogee site.

As far as which sound card option is better [Virus or Apogee] DEFINITELY Apogee. Apogee is "studio standard" for high quality sound in major digital studios world wide. I'm not saying the virus is bad, but Apogee is amazing.

I went back to my old recordings and mixes I did without the Apogee and was shocked at what I did NOT hear !

Definitely Apogee !

I have a Virus TI. When you run it as a plug-in in Logic, I believe you should be able to select and simply "render the track as audio" or "mix the solo track to disc and re-import it, directly bypassing any interface by going directly to disc [via the usb cable] for the highest quality sound. Again probably Google, YouTube [tutorial videos] or the Virus site has info or downloadable manuals or Logic tutorials..

Hope this helps !

-Man Parrish

Message was edited by: ManParrish

Jun 23, 2011 4:47 PM in response to ManParrish

Thanks for the reply, I have found the problem. When I disconnected the TI's USB I was able to record and monitor the virus through the Apogee. Is there still a way of bypassing the Virus soundcard when USB is plugged in? Thought there was?

Also I found there is a hiss and noise when recording and monitoring is this common, if not how to reduce it?

Apart from the hiss I now know what all the fuss is about, the detail in sound when using the apogee is far greater than without. I was told by access virus that it wouldn't make a difference using either but I am afraid they were wrong, have tested it and there is.

How do I record audio using Virus TI and Apogee Duet? What is the best set up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.