Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilding iPhoto '11 library didn't work...

Hi - I have approx. 12k photos on my iMac and several hundred iPhone movie clips. Having (in error) moved many of the movie clip underlying folders the clips no longer played when double-clicking, so the Genius advice was to rebuild the library. I first backed up my harddrive using Time Machine. I also observe in Finder that all 12,000+ photos are indeed in the hard disc. I've now tried to rebuild the iPhoto '11 library overnight. The first message came after a few minutes: "Rebuilding Library: 12671 Versions restored". Then nothing. For a whole night. This morning I ran out of time and patience and force-closed iPhoto. Probably a mistake but remember there was no indication that it was rebuilding anything anymore. When reopening iPhoto the library is blank, no photos, nothing...

Anyone recognise the problem and have any suggestion what I did wrong/any solution/time estimate of how long I should have waited please?

Thanks!!

Lars, London

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 12:42 AM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2011 8:52 AM in response to Lars T.

Same issue here.

I tried freeing up some space on the hard drive (more than the size of my current iPhoto Library), but to no avail. iPhoto is not frozen, but burns 100% of one of my two cores, while iPhoto does not do anything. When shutting down iPhoto and launching the Library itself (and not iPhoto), then the Library seems to be empty, although it is some 80 GBs.

Can anyone solve this?

Jul 1, 2011 8:56 AM in response to gaborb

You need to explain a bit more:

I tried freeing up some space on the hard drive (more than the size of my current iPhoto Library), but to no avail.

What did you do to achieve this?

When shutting down iPhoto and launching the Library itself (and not iPhoto), then the Library seems to be empty, although it is some 80 GBs.

Sounds like the Library is corrupted.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Jul 1, 2011 11:54 AM in response to gaborb

I have the same issue.

My iPhoto sais 0 KB but in my library the iPhoto Library still has the original 22 GIG.

I tried Option 1:

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

It says

"Rebuilding library: 0 versions restored"

for hours and doesn't move further

And Option 2:

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

I get message:

"Cannot rebuild

This library cannot be rebuilt because its XML file contains no image records."

Any support appreciated!

Jul 5, 2011 12:01 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

What would be the best possible way to recover?

Option 1:

I have a Time Machine Backup from 22nd June, but since then I have added a few hundred images to the Library, which I would not want to lose, and previous recoveries from Time Machine have resulted in lost photos (only the thumbs were visible, but the actual photos were not recovered, and I've lost thousands of them.)

Would it be possible to recover from Time Machine and then replace some folders in the package?

Contents of the corrupted iPhoto Library:

http://cl.ly/0W2Q0a1A283a0R3X333U

Contents of the iPhoto Library residing on Time Machine

http://cl.ly/0L382y0C182C0H1q2s2n

Option 2:

Shall I try to restore from Time Machine, and if no data is lost, then simply tweak the few hundred images I recently added from the corrupted iPhoto Library I'm having?

Option 3:
Anything else?

Thanks for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Gabor

Rebuilding iPhoto '11 library didn't work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.