Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4 got slightly wet on the bottom (port and speakers)

The phone works fine, even the speakers. The indicator on the bottom is while and does not show any signs of pink, but I still get a message popping up saying "this accessory is not optimized for this iPhone..." I haven't plugged it in yet just in case there is any water left, I don't want it to short. Is there anyway to get ride of that message, and why am I getting that message?

iPhone 4

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 6:31 AM

7 replies

Jun 17, 2011 8:57 AM in response to deggie

The phone wouldn't shut off at all. I finally was able to turn it off and it has been off since in a bag with rice and silica gel packets. As I mentioned the indicator is white and does not show any damage, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear. I'd like to turn it on since it works fine and was on for around 2 hours (since I couldn't shut it off) after the water. The only sign of a problem was that message - does anyone know what that message means? I can't keep it off for 5-7 days - that would be torture!

Jun 17, 2011 9:12 AM in response to ronee333

You mean you held down the sleep button and the red Off slider did not appear? If so you probably have more damage than you realize.

That message, when displayed with the iPhone not connected to anything, means there has been damage to the dock connector, there is dirt in the dock connector area, there is corrosion on the dock connector (magnifying glass required), or there has been damage to the logic board. If as you state the sleep button would not let you turn yours off (or the combination of the sleep and home button) then I suspect the latter. You will probably need to get it serviced.

Or you can try to let it sit for at least 4 days.

Jun 17, 2011 9:21 AM in response to ronee333

The reason for the message "this accessory is not optimized for this iPhone" and the reason that initially you could not turn off the iPhone is because there was bridging of the Dock Connector Pins by the water. After you have let it Dry, if you still get the Message or iPhone is resistant to turning OFF, then clean the Dock Port very carefully with isopropyll alcohol, especially the pins which are on top of the dock mid rib.

My iPhone 4 got slightly wet on the bottom (port and speakers)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.