Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backup on 2 different HD's

I spend about 50% of my 24 hour day at work. I have a timeCapsul there ( havent set it up yet) and have a 700MB external HD which i use to backup under timeMachine using "TimeMachine Editor"

How can I backup to both disks at work and home?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 9:25 AM

8 replies

Jun 17, 2011 4:02 PM in response to ojsebi

Fairly easily. 🙂

You'll have to tell Time Machine each time you want to swap destinations, via the Select Disk button on the TM Prefs panel.

When you do the first backup to the Time Capsule, do it via Ethernet cable if at all possible -- it will be a full backup, and take a long time, but be 2-3 times faster than WIFI.

Each set of backups will be complete but different; when you swap destinations, Time Machine will back up the changes since the last backup to that disk.

Jun 19, 2011 1:08 AM in response to Pondini

Mr. Pondini,

I connected ethernet cable to the TM and it worked at home, backing up . But i moved the TM AND cable to the office, the amberlight started to flash. !! strange, its the same Macbookpro , same cable and same TM !!

I tried to plug/unplug the power.. no luck

did the same with the ethernet cable.. no luck

I wasnt connecting the TM as a wireless, therefore i didnt plug the cable at the WAN port.

I tried resetting ( hard setting ) on the TM little pin hole.. no luck

During all this trials, only one time the TM setup window showed up on the left colum with amber light. but that soon disappeared and i do not know how to get it back.

Help please

Jun 19, 2011 7:43 AM in response to ojsebi

Axxll@mac.com wrote:

Ok, i set up a mew TM capsul and it works fine now

one thing though.. now i see 2 disks one is called Time Machine backup and the other is DATA !!

That does seem confusing, but they're different parts of the same thing.

Time Machine Backups is the name of the disk image inside the sparse bundle.

Data is the folder on the Time Capsule that contains the sparse bundle.

The Finder (in Column view) should look something like this (the second sparse bundle in the sample is for a second Mac being backed-up to the same Time Capsule):

User uploaded file

Jul 5, 2011 3:47 AM in response to ojsebi

Hello,

Inspite of the succesful setting of TC at work, it does not show the latest backup although its been backing up for the past 2 weeks

over 350 GB has been used up from the total TC 1 TB

Mind it it is backing up via wifi not via ethernet ( it didnt work when i tried:()

any thought on this please?

Jul 5, 2011 7:27 AM in response to ojsebi

Axxll@mac.com wrote:

Hello,

Inspite of the succesful setting of TC at work, it does not show the latest backup although its been backing up for the past 2 weeks

Do the backups complete normally, or are there error messages, and a Failed indication on the TM Prefs panel, per #C2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

If they have been completing normally, try the Browse option, per #E2 there.

TimeMachine backup on 2 different HD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.