Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Xcode 4... where is FileMerge?

I just installed Xcode 4, which I wanted to do anyway but decided to do now because I wanted to use FileMerge. As far as I could figure out based on many a google, FileMerge is supposed to be part of Xcode and should be in Applications/Utilities. Yet I've installed Xcode and it isn't in Application/Utilities. How can I find or get FileMerge?

(I am new to the OSx universe so forgive me if I've missed something obvious)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 10:50 AM

Look in /Developer/Applications/Utilities (all current versions Xcode).

4 replies

May 5, 2012 12:51 PM in response to jwlarson

Actually, there is no longer a /Developer/ directory in root. Now all the utility programs are contained within the Xcode program itself. I had to launch Xcode, go to Help menu, type in "FileMerge" and launch it from there.

Then, once it was launched, I had to "Keep in Dock", then "Reveal in Finder" to discover it was contained within the package contents of Xcode.

Because I use FileMerge with SourceTree, a versioning client for git and mercurial, I kind of like to have it handy on the Dock. I can see why containing it within one "App" icon makes it easier to manage, but this is a developer tool, not a consumer tool. My request to whoever decided this: don't hide the programs from the developer. Thanks.

Installed Xcode 4... where is FileMerge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.