4 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 12:51 PM by CCS69
jwlarson Level 1 Level 1

I just installed Xcode 4, which I wanted to do anyway but decided to do now because I wanted to use FileMerge.  As far as I could figure out based on many a google, FileMerge is supposed to be part of Xcode and should be in Applications/Utilities.  Yet I've installed Xcode and it isn't in Application/Utilities.  How can I find or get FileMerge?

(I am new to the OSx universe so forgive me if I've missed something obvious)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
Solved by K T on Jun 17, 2011 10:50 AM Solved

Look in /Developer/Applications/Utilities (all current versions Xcode).

• K T Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.publishing
    Publishing

Look in /Developer/Applications/Utilities (all current versions Xcode).

• jwlarson Level 1 Level 1

K T - ok, now I just feel dumb.  I was not looking in /Developer/...   Thanks!

• K T Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.publishing
    Publishing

Dumb is whomever thought it was a good idea to use those same folder names...must be yet another test by the engineers.

• CCS69 Level 1 Level 1

Actually, there is no longer a /Developer/ directory in root. Now all the utility programs are contained within the Xcode program itself. I had to launch Xcode, go to Help menu, type in "FileMerge" and launch it from there.

Then, once it was launched, I had to "Keep in Dock", then "Reveal in Finder" to discover it was contained within the package contents of Xcode.

Because I use FileMerge with SourceTree, a versioning client for git and mercurial, I kind of like to have it handy on the Dock. I can see why containing it within one "App" icon makes it easier to manage, but this is a developer tool, not a consumer tool. My request to whoever decided this: don't hide the programs from the developer. Thanks.