Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong Masterfile connected

I am using Aperture 3.1.2 and have stored most of my images on an external network storage (NAS).

Now I now found several of my images showing wrong content. At first I thought it might be the thumbnail, so I tried to rebuild the thumbnail. This didn't work so I checked the connected master file. It seems that somehow Aperture connected several images to wrong masterfiles. The "Locate Referenced Files..." option doesn't help since the files have different names.

Is there a way to reconnect to the correct master again? This would really help since I have made adjustments to the images I don't wanna lose.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 1:06 PM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2011 6:20 PM in response to schaffstein

Locate Referenced Files is way to reconnect referenced masters in Aperture.

How did you determine 'several of my images showing wrong content.' and how did you check the connected master files?

I'm also confused by your last statement that the Locate Referenced Files command won;t work because the files have different names.

I've never heard of Aperture cross connecting masters as you're describing. I would check the health of the NAS as it seems to be serving up the wrong files.

regards

Jun 18, 2011 1:30 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for your answer. I'll try to explain in a bit more detail.

1. I already ran a full diagnosis of the NAS. Everythings fine there.

2. I have organised my images into projects for each shooting. In one project I was shooting a female model and did a panorama like cropping on one image. Ratio about 5:1. So this image was very memorable. The image now shows an elephant from another project and the cropping looks very stupid on the elephant. So that's how I got suspicious...

Also I have typically named my versions as the masterfile.

Example:

versionname: img_003

masterfile: img_003.cr2

Now with this broken image the versionname is "img_003" and when trying to reconnect the masterfile, Aperture is looking for "img_456.cr2" (which would be the elephant image). "img_456.cr2" is also stored in a completely different folder as "img_002.cr2".

(I use unique filenames like 4S1Q9184.cr2 for all my images, so the above names are just an example.)

Jun 18, 2011 5:49 AM in response to schaffstein

Have you tried repairing or rebuilding your Library? I would. I once saw crops applied to the wrong Masters; I think "Repair Library" fixed it. Directions are on the Aperture trouble-shooting page.

You might move your Library to a local drive before attempting the repair.

I have never seen a Library damaged from either "Repair" or "Rebuild".

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jun 20, 2011 6:43 AM in response to schaffstein

Just remember if you're going to run the rebuild follow Apple's advice and have a recent backup of your library. Rebuild can have negative effects on the library.

BTW you mentioned the referenced images are on the NAS you never mentioned where the Aperture library is located. Remember the library needs to be on a local disk formatted OS Extended

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Nov 14, 2011 12:07 AM in response to schaffstein

Hi,

this is my observation and this seems to be the case for Aperture and iTunes. In both cases I have referenced the files only for Aperture the library sits on the local HD.

The trouble is with the login items of the user, so I add the share drives to be logged in when Lion starts but somtetimes it looses the items, many times it's either the Photos or the music share.

Funny thing is I have music files which are now referenced to photos, so OSX is def. not good in handling network drives, shares and login items. This prob exists now for a while.

For Aperture youdon't need to delete you just need to re-locate and you can do that with several files as long as you know where the "right" ones are.

I'm still looking for a smooth solution for itunes on how to fix the wrong references.

ps: all is stored on a Synologu D411j NAS.

Wrong Masterfile connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.