Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 43 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 3:34 PM by Csound1
relenned Level 1 (0 points)

I have a Laser Jet Plus 4 printer that works great for me and I want to use it to print from my Macbook Air. How do I do this?

PLEASE, keep in mind that I am a novice with all this and technical terms mean very little to me, Sorry! I basically need step by step instructions.

I know I need a different cord because the Laser jet does not have a USB cord.  but what kind?

I use Verizon Fios Wireless, still have a modem as I use my old desktop to print from at the moment.

PLEASE, in simple terms, can someone help me?

Thank you

MacBook Air
  • chrisfromhopewell Level 4 (1,085 points)

Does it have to have a cord?

• relenned Level 1 (0 points)

I guess no? I really don't know how to do this at all. I don't care if there is a cord or not, just assumed i would need some kind of cord to hook up to USB on the Mac. It's an old printer but it works great!

thanks for the help!

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,992 points)

I believe your LJ4+ uses a parallel connection, you can purchase an adaptor to convert it to USB,

The LJ4+ was also offered with a JetDirect network card and if yours has one you can connect it to your home network.

Finally you could purchase an HP printserver, connect that to your printer & your network.

One of these will work, the 2nd option is cheapest but depends on your particular LJ having a network connector already fitted.

Thanks,

What is a parallel connection?

How do I know if mine has this JetDirect Network card?

Parallel Socket:

parallel.jpg

Cat5 socket:

cat5s.jpeg

If you have only the Parallel then you'll need a converter to USB, if you have the cat5 as well connect to your network (with a cat5 cable)

• Leo Raymaekers Level 3 (695 points)

And here is how the parallel port (aka Centronics port) looks like on the printer :

parallel_printer_side.jpg

An adaptor from Parallel to USB cost around 25€ and looks like this :

parallel_to_usb.jpg

Thanks for that, I missed it

Hi Csound1,

At your service ;-)

The only feature that is still missing in the new forum interface is an audio alarm that warns you when someone else has just posted the answer you are about to compose. I was still collecting picts when you posted :-)

Or an auto-screen-update would be nice.

Kind regards,

Leo

You are great! Thanks so much, just one more question…where do I get these cords?

can't thank you enough for the help!

You can buy this cord at a local computer store or on the internet.

Ask for a "Parallel to USB adaptor printer cable" (there is only 1 type so it works for PC and Mac).

Remember : the Parallel plug that goes into the printer is sometimes called Centronics,

so a ""Centronics to USB adaptor printer cable" is just the same.

Kind regards,

I got the cord, finally, YEAH! Now what?

I do not have an installation disc for this printer, my daughter installed it on my old desk top years ago for me. AND, I have Never installed anything on me Macbook Air, it's all new to me...can you tell me what to do next please? in simple step by step directions!

Thank you!

Fasten your seatbelt :-)

1. make sure the printer is turned OFF

2. connect the printer to the MBA with the cord

3. if not already ON, turn the MBA ON

4. turn the printer ON

5. click on the Apple icon in the menubar

6. select "System Preferences"

7. select "Print & Scan" (in the section Hardware)

8. on the left of the "Print & Scan" window is a list of all connected printers

Do your see your Laser Printer in this printer list ?

If YES, print something.

if NO, read on

8. click the + at the bottom of the printer list window

9. select your printer model from the list

if you DO find your printer/model, select it and print something, let me know if it doesn't work

if you DO NOT find your printer/model

10. goto the "Download Printer Driver" page on the website of the printer manufacturer

11. follow installation instructions from the manufacturer

12. print something

Can you print ?

Kind regards

got to #9, found my printer andselected it, but when I try to print, I get an error message on the printer "W2 INVALID PERS"

There are so many HP sites, I don't know what one to go into to go to step #10

Thanks again for the help

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next