Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

250MB ATAPI Zip drive

I have a 250 MB ATAPI Zip drive, is it possible to connect it to my iBook G4 or PowerBook via USB adapter?

I've a generic IDE/SATA to USB 2 adapter but when I connect it to my IBook nothing happens.

Thanks a lot for any info or suggestion

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.33 GHz/ 1,25 GB RAM/ 320 GB HD/ 400 GB HD FW

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 3:28 PM

3 replies

Jun 18, 2011 3:11 AM in response to nOmada

I assume you are talking about a bare Zip drive, not one already in an enclosure, right? If so, check the specs for your generic USB adaptor to see if it mentions supporting ATAPI devices & as well as ATA/SATA ones. Not all do. If it doesn't mention ATAPI specifically, or say something about supporting optical as well as hard drives, it probably does not support ATAPI.

Jun 18, 2011 1:55 PM in response to R C-R

You're right it's a bare ATAPI zip drive. As a I said it's a generic IDE/SATA adapter so it doesn't say anything on the manual or box but I found this on Apple System Profiler under USB Hi-Speed Bus:

USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: JMicron

Product ID: 0x2338

Serial Number: EE22D6D52722

Vendor ID: 0x152d

I've searching for JMicron 2338 but haven't found the tech specs

Maybe I need to install iomegaware to install a driver?

Thanks for all your help

Jun 20, 2011 2:35 AM in response to nOmada

It can't hurt to install the iomegaware software & see if it helps. Also, the user tip on this download page might be worth reading to see if it helps.

One other thought: most USB adaptors intended for bare drives include both a box with the SATA & ATA bridges in it & a power supply box, along with the appropriate cables. If yours does, make sure you are using the power supply & the furnished cable to power up the Zip.

250MB ATAPI Zip drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.