Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get rid of Adobe Reader FOREVER & still read all PDFs online?

I have this problem. I hate ADOBE ACROBAT READER. I install it when I have to, and more and more it seems that if I want to look at a PDF online, Preview doesn't get the chance because the Adobe Reader butts in and reports that it can't find an Adobe Reader compatible program.

Or that I must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PDF and do I want to download Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Or something similar.

Is there any SIMPLE way to get rid of Adobe Acrobat Reader altogether once and for all, so that I never have to see it, or use it, or think about it again?

If there is, I would MUCH appreciate a HOW TO because it's making me ill.

PREVIEW is great for what I need, and if I could just get PREVIEW to take over all PDF duties, I'd be fine.

Alternatively, if there's another PDF reader/writer etc. for Mac, I'd pay real money for it if necessary.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 10:32 PM

Hi, I don't use Acrobat either but did you never use a google search term like 'uninstall acrobat mac'? I just did and at least one of the hits is from adobes own website.

Is there a prefpane in System Prefs or your browser prefs that handles the web plug in.

3 replies

Jun 18, 2011 1:28 AM in response to Pier Rodelon

It may be necessary to go to Adobe's website to find an uninstaller.

Preview should automatically take over the job.

I don't have Acrobat and have no problems so far.

I removed it about six months ago when it's major vulnerabilities to malware were pointed out.

Never follow links from pop-ups that say you need a new version of Acrobat, Flash or other software (video codecs are a favourite) as they stand a high chance of being re-directs to malware sites.

Always check the latest versions from your own bookmarks to the vendor sites.

Get rid of Adobe Reader FOREVER & still read all PDFs online?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.