3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2011 1:48 AM by Pier Rodelon
Pier Rodelon Level 1 (25 points)

I have this problem. I hate ADOBE ACROBAT READER. I install it when I have to, and more and more it seems that if I want to look at a PDF online, Preview doesn't get the chance because the Adobe Reader butts in and reports that it can't find an Adobe Reader compatible program.

Or that I must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PDF and do I want to download Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Or something similar.

Is there any SIMPLE way to get rid of Adobe Acrobat Reader altogether once and for all, so that I never have to see it, or use it, or think about it again?

If there is, I would MUCH appreciate a HOW TO because it's making me ill.

PREVIEW is great for what I need, and if I could just get PREVIEW to take over all PDF duties, I'd be fine.

Alternatively, if there's another PDF reader/writer etc. for Mac, I'd pay real money for it if necessary.

• gumsie Level 4 (2,155 points)

Hi, I don't use Acrobat either but did you never use a google search term like 'uninstall acrobat mac' ? I just did and at least one of the hits is from adobes own website.

Is there a prefpane in System Prefs or your browser prefs that handles the web plug in.

• noondaywitch Level 6 (8,135 points)

It may be necessary to go to Adobe's website to find an uninstaller.

Preview should automatically take over the job.

I don't have Acrobat and have no problems so far.

I removed it about six months ago when it's major vulnerabilities to malware were pointed out.

Never follow links from pop-ups that say you need a new version of Acrobat, Flash or other software (video codecs are a favourite) as they stand a high chance of being re-directs to malware sites.

Always check the latest versions from your own bookmarks to the vendor sites.

• Pier Rodelon Level 1 (25 points)

Turns out it may have been AdobePDFViewer.plugin left over in the main Library folder. When this was removed and computer rebooted PREVIEW took over duties (so far) of rendering PDF files from the Web.