Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong rotation on iPad 2 photos

Hi Communitiy, I'm using an iPad2 and a Windows XP PC (sorry). iTunes (latest version) for synchronization (like photos and music). My problem is, I have synced around 2000 photos already to my iPad2. The orientation (landscape, portrait) on my Windows PC are correct, but some of them are not correct in Photos on my iPad. I tried already to change orientation on Windows PC again, and sync but no effect. I looked for a rotation app for my iPad and I found a Photopad and Adobe Photo express. Both can do a rotation but they will create new photos afterwards.

Q: Why are several photos in a wrong orientation on my iPad2, if they are correct on my Windows XP PC (within explorer (thumb nail view), irfan view, rota)? and how or what should I do to have my photos in right orientation after sync with iTunes.

Thank you!

Tom

iPad 2, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:37 AM

3 replies

Jun 18, 2011 9:02 AM in response to Tompika

Hello, I could help myself. I found out that this problem occur only to photos from a Panasonic cam. Samsung, Casio, Fuji was working fine. Nevertheles I could fix this EXIF problem with the following tools:

ExifTool

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

GUI

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

They are also available for Mac OS. You can very easy change with the Quick Edit function the orientation value. This tool also shows in the internal preview window, how the photo is oriented on your iPad (because Windows (and some other tools) showed me these photos always in the right orientation). When you make the adjustment (e.g. angel 0° you have to enter 1) and save, you will see the result an the preview window.

So this worked for me!

cu

Tom

Jan 8, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Tompika

I had the same problem, but thought it was strange because some of my old photos were being displayed on my iPad with the corrected orientation as shown/corrected on my PC, however some of the recent photos I had taken would only show as landscape on the iPad even though rotated and set to Portrait on my PC.

I have always used plain old Microsoft Picture Manager (MPM) to sort and correct the display of my photos and then Photoshop to make and changes if needed, I remembered that somewhere along the line recently my laptop had started using Windows Photo Gallery to open my pics instead. I am not sure why it had changed, probably something I had clicked on or agreed to by mistake along the way, and I regulary had to right click a photo to select Open with Microsoft Picture Manager to modify it with tools I was familair with, but this made me wonder if this was something to do with why some pics from a recent holiday were displaying correct and some from the same holiday and same camera where wrong.

I have tried opening them again in MPM and re rotating then re-saving but it doesn't recognise any changes so this didnt work. I reopened in Windows Photo Gallery (WPG), rotated again, resaved and re synched and yes this worked, but as I prefer MPM I tried other ways to re save in this program and found that if I opened the Folder in Windows Explorer, set the files set to display as Medium icons from the Views option on the Toolbar, then right clicked each photo that displayed wrong on the iPad, even if it was correct on the PC, then selected Rotate Clockwise or Counter Clockwise from the Right Click menu then I re synched my iPad and they are all now fine. You can eve use the multiple select tools of shift + click or Ctrl + click to modify lots of pics in one go.

So it has got to be to do with the program used to rotate and save in the first place!

Hope this helps someone, it has certainly made my day!

Mar 27, 2012 3:05 AM in response to Tompika

Hi there. I had the same problem with an Apple TV. I'd used Windows 7 Picture Manager to rotate the images but they remained unrotated when displaying as the screen saver on the ATV.

I suspect that this problem is related to the MS Picture Manager not properly saving tags into the JPG image. I resolved the problem using Windows Live Photos Gallery (free download).

Open the photos using this program, then click on the "Edit, organize and share" button. If you want to fix multiple of your photos from the folder use ALT-A or Ctrl-Click the ones you want to fix.

Under the "Edit" menu, you'll see an icon for "Auto adjust" on the ribbon bar. Click the down arrow below it to change Settings. Check only the item called "Straighten". (Note: I only checked this because I did not really to adjust the color, exposure, etc. However, if you want to do all of them, go ahead).

Live Photos Gallery will then pass through the selected items. The next time you put them on the iPad / ATV they should be OK. It seemed to work for me.

Good luck!

PS. You can do a similar operation with the Picasa software from Google, but I thought it was obnoxious the way Picasa insisted on cataloging every image on my entire hard drive.

wrong rotation on iPad 2 photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.