Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening a tab-delimited file in numbers

Hello,

I have a tab-delimited file with the extension .srt to open in Numbers. I can do this easily in Microsoft Excel by going to the Open menu. It then gives me the option to say how the file is delimited and then it opens it. I can't seem to do this in Numbers... When I get to the Open menu and try to open the file, it is grayed out, so unaccessible... how does one do this in Mac?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 10:49 AM

Well I might have found a way, though it's not the best thing...

Opened the file in another application and saved it as .csv which can indeed be opened by Numbers...

However, in doing so, I don't have access to options allowing me to specify that the file is not just delimited by tabs or comas but also by colons.... which you are allowed to mentioned when you open a text file in Microsoft Excel.... there must be a better way to do this....

Still waiting for some help.... anyone?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2011 10:49 AM in response to ShadowyDestiny

Well I might have found a way, though it's not the best thing...

Opened the file in another application and saved it as .csv which can indeed be opened by Numbers...

However, in doing so, I don't have access to options allowing me to specify that the file is not just delimited by tabs or comas but also by colons.... which you are allowed to mentioned when you open a text file in Microsoft Excel.... there must be a better way to do this....

Still waiting for some help.... anyone?

Jun 18, 2011 11:52 AM in response to ShadowyDestiny

As was explained here many times, Numbers may open csv files if :

(1) the file name ends with ".csv"

(2) values are separated by commas if the decimal char in use on the machine is the period

values are separated by semi-colons if the decimal char in use on the machine is the comma.

(3) we have no way to change the values separator.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 18 juin 2011 20:50:54

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jun 18, 2011 12:06 PM in response to ShadowyDestiny

Which is exactly the used separator?

Your message speak of csv but the title speak of TAB-delimited file.

If the doc is a tab-delimited one Numbers may open it if the name extension is ".txt"

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 18 juin 2011 21:06:14

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jun 18, 2011 12:18 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

I don't know the separator. This file is generator from a stimuli computer and the original extension is .srt

When I convert it to .txt and try to open it, it does open but the separations of columns is not right.

In .csv it is fine except for the one column that is actually separate with a colon (:). In Microsoft Excel, I could tell Excel to add an additional column for that separator (:) which I can't now but at least, all my other columns are ok in the .csv format, so it's a minor problem now.

Thanks

Nov 27, 2014 8:54 AM in response to ShadowyDestiny

I would like to use the Pages method of Finding the semi colons and Replacing them with Tabs then opening in Numbers as a .txt file.

The script looks like a great idea but the instructions where not clear enough on how to achieve the desired goal. So I tried but failed.

In Pages: under Find and Replace how do you produce the "Tab" icon in the Replace entry box? If I use the Tab key above the Caps Lock key no icon appears.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 27, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Hookapp

Hi,

With your Pages document open, pull down the View menu and choose Show Invisibles (Cmd-Shift-I).

Type a tab character anywhere in the document - it will appear as a right-pointing arrow. Highlight it and type Cmd-X to cut it.

Now type Cmd-F to display the search and replace dialog.

In the top box type a semi-colon, in the lower box type Cmd-V to paste the tab character. The cursor will jump to the right a little but you won't see a visible character. However, when you click Replace All, the semi-colons in the document will be replaced with tab characters.

If you're doing a lot of complex search-and-replaces, though, a dedicated text editor like TextWrangler or Tex-Edit Plus might be a better tool.

Hope this helps,

H

Opening a tab-delimited file in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.