Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro is overheating

I have recently noticed that my MacBook Pro is overheating a lot and i don't know why. I have a Speck outer shell on, that might be making it hotter, but I still don't know. Also, my fan doesn't sound like it is running that fast. Please give me your suggestions on how to make it stop overheating.

MacBook Pro (August 2009), iPhone 4 (GSM Model), Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of Ram, 320 GB Hard Drive

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 2:18 PM

Hi Download, install, and run iStat Pro. Post back with your temperature readings.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Stedman

21 replies

Jun 18, 2011 4:57 PM in response to cxyblood

You're welcome.

If the CPU or GPU were to overheat, it would cause to computer to shutdown. Some information I have read suggests those temperatures would need to be in excess of 100 Deg Celsius. If your temperatures start approaching those numbers and you aren't doing any CPU or GPU intensive activities, it would definitely be worth investigating.

Stedman

Jun 18, 2011 7:09 PM in response to cxyblood

I have a the same issue and whilst 68gegrees is not going to affect the performance of my Macbookpro it is going to mighty hot on my legs especially when its charging. I have downloaded and installed SMCfancontrol which allows you to set up different fan speeds depending on what the mac is doing and I keep the temp around 40 degrees which is ok to have on my lap and dosent burn my legs.

Cheers

Craig

2010 Macbookpro i7 4gb ram

Sep 6, 2011 6:53 PM in response to stedman1

Uhm

Hello...i know that this has nothing to with the girls problem...but i have a paranoia that my macbook pro is going to explode....ever since the ice-cream incident...

So can you please see if my mac is okay....i wrote down the temperatures...

Fan Speed: 2883rpm

HD: 36 degrees

CPU: 64 degrees

Enclose Base 1: 34 degrees

Enclosure Base 2: 34 degrees

Enclosure Base 3: 32 degrees

Heatsink B: 55 degrees

Northbridge: 56 degrees

May 20, 2012 3:26 PM in response to cxyblood

May 19, 2012My Macbook Pro 15" Early 2008 model had been running hot for a long time.

I posted this in an other discussion but added some info here.

Checked Activity Monitor. (Applications/Utilities)

AdobeResourceSynchronizer was taking 83% of CPU usage.

Did a google search and found information regarding AdobeResourceSynchronizer causing high CPU usage and heat.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/822790

Problem seems to be Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app

To disable go to: System Preferences > Accounts

Click the Padlock icon, enter password if needed, click Login Items,

uncheck AdobeResourceSynchronizer

New Info since last post regarding above info:

Click on Login Items, click on AdobeResourceSynchronizer so that it is highlighted, then click the minus sign at the bottom to remove it so it does not start at login.

I don't know how this got install on this computer.

I suspect Adobe Reader. AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app is within the Adobe Reader application package.

Control Click (or right click) the Adobe Reader app, click Show Package Contents

Location: Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app

Some other Adobe applications may also cause this to run.

After disabling this in System Preferences > Accounts, temperature seems to be acceptable.

Also start Adobe Reader X, go to Preferences, Tracker and in the "Automatically Check for New Comments and Form Data", slide the top slider all the way to the right so is says Never.

After having done all this and restarted the computer, check Activity Monitor again and see if

AdobeResourceSynchronizer is still running. If it is you can click on it so it is highlighted and click the Quit button in the upper left.

This solved my excess heat problem.

Jul 24, 2012 3:14 PM in response to cxyblood

Hi, my Mac Book Pro is also horribly ovearheating! I took it to the store and they checked it out, however, found no problem with it. After reading your posts and downloading the iStat Pro, here are the numbers:

HD: 38 degrees

CPU: 93 degrees

Enclosure Base: 34 degrees

Enclosure Base 2: 34 degrees

Enclosure Base 3: 32 degrees

Heatsink B: 61 degrees

Mem Bank A1: 51 degrees

Fans, Exhaust: 6200rpm

The computer is boiling. I can't even touch it with bare hands and have to use pillow to lift it. What can I do?

My MacBook Pro is overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.