Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I create a bootable disc image of my hard drive?

Hi, I want to create a bootable disc of my hard drive on my iMac G5, running Leopard. When I open disc utility, and click "create disc image", and title, select destination, I get the error "unable to create HD (resource busy)". What does this mean? I closed all software, files etc. except for the disc utility program. I want to have the backup copy so I can boot and run my existing software and all files in the event of a crash, etc. I'm select my external hard drive as a destination source when attempting the disc image.

Is using Time Machine better? Leopard has this too as an option.

Didn't think it would be this difficult. I realize just dragging the HD onto the external hard drive would make a copy, but not a bootable one.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), intel chip G5 20"

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 4:27 PM

You aren't doing the correct thing. Here's what you need to do:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2011 4:27 PM in response to cocteau3

You aren't doing the correct thing. Here's what you need to do:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Jun 18, 2011 4:34 PM in response to cocteau3

Just use the free Carbon Copy Cloner with a powered external Firewire/USB Disk Utility > HFS+ Journaled formatted drive equal too or greater than your boot drive.

You can then hold option and boot from it and reverse clone onto your old or new drive or to another drive.

It's as easy as that.

It also can be scheduled to self update. It's good to have two clones in rotation.

TimeMachine is not bootable, is prone to problems etc and as a restore image, it's files are not accessible from another Mac or PC with MacDrive installed.

If you need the file backup software, look at the free SyncTwoFolders for Mac on CNET Downloads.

Jun 18, 2011 4:41 PM in response to cocteau3

Looks like two options. Concerning the first, using DU and selecting the destination disc in the Restore window, it sounds like (and I've read this on other posts now) that my destination disc must be blank, erased, and 100% dedicated to using as a bootable drive. My current destination disc is a 1.5TB firewire drive, and I have other backup data from another computer on it. I cannot erase it. Must I buy a drive solely for this purpose?

Perhaps Carbon Copy Cloner does not require that I erase my destination drive?

Also, it sounds like one cannot boot a system from a disc image anyway, thus the Restore function.

Jun 18, 2011 4:50 PM in response to cocteau3

The same will hold true regardless. If you want a bootable clone you need to put it on a clean drive or a clean partition on a drive. If you want to use your 1.5 TB drive then make another, smaller partition large enough to accommodate the clone:

To resize the drive do the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and select the drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list.

2. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. You should see the graphical sizing window showing the existing partitions. A portion may appear as a blue rectangle representing the used space on a partition.

3. In the lower right corner of the sizing rectangle for each partition is a resizing gadget. Select it with the mouse and move the bottom of the rectangle upwards until you have reduced the existing partition enough to create the desired new volume's size. The space below the resized partition will appear gray. Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. (Note: You can only make a partition smaller in order to create new free space.)

4. Click on the [+] button below the sizing window to add a new partition in the gray space you freed up. Give the new volume a name, if you wish, then click on the Apply button. Wait until the process has completed.

You should now have a new volume on the drive.

It would be wise to have a backup of your current system as resizing is not necessarily free of risk for data loss. Your drive must have sufficient contiguous free space for this process to work.

ds_store and I disagree over using CCC or DU to do a full clone. CCC is faster but DU is more reliable because of additional data verification checks that CCC does not do in favor of being faster. DU only performs full volume backups. But you can always use CCC to perform incremental backups to the same volume. But either tool will work. I'm willing to trade speed for reliability. There are many alternatives to CCC such as the following:

Data Backup

Deja Vu

Silver Keeper

Retrospect

Super Flexible File Synchronizer

SuperDuper!

Synchronize Pro! X

Synk Pro

Synk Standard

Tri-Backup

Others may be found at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

Feb 27, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Kappy

I know this is an old thread, but I hope it is still accurate and that someone will see it and answer. FYI, I use SilverKeeper for backup and it works very well.

I read above that CCC was free, I don't see that on their website, but I will use DU regardless. Maybe CCC was free at the time of this posting.

So, I need to make a bootable disk on my external drive. I'd like it to be of my current system since what came with my Mac is old and it takes me a long time with downloads to get back to where I am when I unfortunatly, ill advisedly (by Apple tech), reinstalled my opperating system.

I'm hopeing that if I need to boot from it, I can actually get onto my computer and access my files, unlike booting from the Apple disk. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

I have an external drive that I'm using for backup, nothing else. It's a 1 TB and currently I have SilverKeeper and Time Machine backing up to it. I'm not sure if it's really necessary to have both, on one drive, or even smart. But it is all I have asside from DVDs for permanent backups of old customer files. So, my question is, how much space do I need to partition for a bootable drive. I have roughly half of the 1 TB available and disapearing since TM adds to it daily.

Feb 27, 2013 8:08 AM in response to daliah

• FYI, I use SilverKeeper for backup and it works very well.

From that I assume you are running OS 10.7 or earlier. Which one?

• I have an external drive that I'm using for backup, nothing else.

Perhaps this is bootable? SilverKeeper had that capability. With the external drive connected, go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disk. If the external is bootable, it will show up there.

And yes, when you boot from the external drive your internal drive will be mounted and accessible.

how do I create a bootable disc image of my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.