Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web pages display incorrectly

An example, Amazon home page. On my Mac Mini he column on the left has titles on each fly-out bar with a comment beneath on some. The title is okay but the comment over/under writes the title.

The same page displays correctly on my iMac.

Both computers are late 2009 and run Safari on snow leopard up to date.

I have found many common web pages that have the same problem on the mini and okay on the iMac.

Haven't found any differences in settings.

iMac late 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.3), It's new

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 3:52 PM

19 replies

Jun 18, 2011 5:15 PM in response to Simplistic0000

I think I'm having the same problem. I'm getting this message on the Amazon page: "Sorry, this browser is not supported by our Lightning Deals widget" or "Your web browser does not support this feature. Please visit our blah blah blah for a list of compatible web browsers that support the Amazon Online Reader." Embedded videos also don't work. Having the same messages on Firefox and Opera. Amazon says it's not their problem and suggested I empty the cache. Did that, no result. It all worked before... now it doesn't... don't know what to think.

Jun 19, 2011 8:05 AM in response to macuser7

This doesn't sound the same to me.

I'm getting no messages at all when the page loads. Just overlapping text.

Does remind me though that the text is fine in firefox.

What I can't, so far, figure out is why safari is doing it right on the iMac but not on the mini.

I can't imagine why your error happens unless some Safari service is missing or bad.

Jun 19, 2011 10:33 AM in response to Simplistic0000

Simplistic --

You could have a font duplicate on that one.

Open up your Font Book application in your apps folder.

Select "All fonts" and then look for any alarms. Pay special attention to Arial and Helvetica fonts.

If any have a yellow alert triangle, just click them to resolve.

Also, I'm assuming you've restarted your Mac since you started seeing these problems, right?

And you've emptied the Safari cache & cleared the History list, right?

Jun 22, 2011 9:37 AM in response to Simplistic0000

Simplistic --

Try this, OK? Do a Safe Boot. It will clear out some of your font caches, and other good stuff. The following is from an Apple Knowledge Base Article:

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 or later, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Jul 2, 2011 9:26 AM in response to TildeBee

Hi. I think I may have your solution! Safari was driving me nuts on my brand new MacBook Pro and I was having the same problem of messed up/jumbled text on certain web sites. I couldn't even place an order on certain sites like Amazon or make a hotel reservation, for example, because the fill-in boxes had text all over them. I finally called technical support and escalated my call to one of the senior advisers. At last, she came up with a solution. The issue (at least for me) was in Safari preferences. Some of the preferences that I had changed over time were somehow interfering with how certain web sites appeared.

In summary, you have to delete any .plist files which have the word "Safari" in them. For me, these files were:

com.apple.Safari.plist

com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Once I deleted these and rebooted my MacBook Pro, Safari was returned to it's original state as it appeared when I first got the computer (i.e. the "Welcome" screen, etc.). This completedly solved my problem, and now all of my web sites are looking great with no jumbled text.

To find these .plist files, do the following:

1) Open the Finder window

2) Under "Places", click on the house icon (i.e. your hard drive icon)

3) Go to Library ----> Preferences and then expand the list of files that pops up so that you can read them all. Look for anything that has the word Safari in it (i.e. the two files that I mention above). Drag them to the Trash.

4) Close all windows and restart your computer.

5) After the Restart, open Safari. You will be back at the default Safari "Welcome" screen that first appeared when you got your computer. Try navigating to the troublesome web sites. I hope you will find that your problem is solved. It worked for me!

Web pages display incorrectly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.