Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use Terminal to set a printer as "Default Printer"?

I've had an issue lately with setting a printer as default printer in the Print & Fax Preference Pane. I have two separate printers (Lexmark X463de and HP Color Laserjet 3800) and I'm having an issue setting the HP printer as the default printer to replace the Lexmark. I've tried most things already - deleting the printers out of the preference pane, renaming them, etc. - and I haven't had any luck.

What I'm wondering now is whether or not I can use Terminal to bypass the Print & Fax preference pane and set the HP as my default printer. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Note: The reason I need to set it as my default printer is because I'm using an older program that doesn't allow to switch between printers; therefore, I can only use the default printer to print what I need. And I' doing this through USB, not over WiFi.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:17 PM

6 replies

Jun 19, 2011 7:19 PM in response to LSUAMDG

In testing the lpadmin command it appears not to be working. To check after using the command I use lpstat -t. This shows the system default printer before all the other information about the installed printers. You can also use lpq, as this shows the print jobs currently spooled to the default printer.

In using lpstat -t, the default printer for me is shown as that set in Print & Fax > Default printer. And changing the printer in Print & Fax > Default printer does change the default printer shown in lpstat -t, while the lpadmin command does not change the default printer set.

So have a play with Print & Fax > Default printer and then use lpstat -t, or lpq, to see which printer is set as the system default.

How do I use Terminal to set a printer as "Default Printer"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.