Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express problem

I purchased an Airport Express to extend my network to an upstairs room. AE just blinks amber, doesn't reach green and does not show up in AirPort Utility. So, I tried a soft and hard reset, but still just blinks amber and still no device in AirPort utility. I also tried connecting to iMac via ethernet, but it still doesn't show up. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:03 PM

13 replies

Jun 18, 2011 7:18 PM in response to Russellboy

Power off the iMac, wait a moment, then power it back up

Power off the AirPort Express

Wait 5 minutes

Hold in the reset button on the Express

Continue to hold the reset button in 10-12 seconds while you plug the Express back in to power

Release the reset button

Allow 40-45 seconds for the Express to restart to a slow blinking amber light

Wait a few minutes to see if AirPort Utility will open automatically on the iMac

If not, open AirPort Utility

If the Express does not appear, close AirPort Utility

Click the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the iMac's screen

Click Join Other Network

Click Show Networks

Select Apple Network xxxxxxxx and connect to that network

Open AirPort Utility and the Express should appear

Jun 18, 2011 7:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

After doing the reset as you describe, the AE shows up in the utility and seemingly allows me to update the setting. However, I then get a message, "waiting for EZ to restart..." and it eventually just times out. Then another message pops up saying, "the settings for this AirPort device have been updated, but there was a problem re-joining the wireless network or finding the Airport device. I then close and reopen the AirPort Utility and the Airport Express no longer shows up (even though plugged into the iMac via Ethernet). AE still blinks amber.

Jun 18, 2011 8:07 PM in response to Bob Timmons

My end goal is to extend my existing network to my upstairs bedroom to get better connectivity to internet with my laptop and also for better connectivity for my bedroom AppleTV. First step, I can't even get the AE to work properly, I thought I would first see if I could simply get it to join my existing network (cable modem connected to a Time Capsule, which works like a charm). I thought I would first try to get the darn thing working in terms of connecting to the network. Then I thought I would go back in and reconfigure the AE to use it to extend the network (e.g., "participate in a WDS network"). As it stands, I can't even get a green light out of the bugger.

Jun 18, 2011 8:32 PM in response to Russellboy

WDS settings would not be used on newer "n" devices. WDS is only for older "g" wireless devices, or a "mix" of "n" and "g" devices.

Open AirPort Utiity - select your Time Capsule - Click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab located just below the row of icons

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Allow this network to be extended"

Click Update to save your changes

Perform a Factory Default Reset on the Airport Express, then move it close to your Time Capsule for the configuration.

Open AirPort Utility - Select the AirPort Express - Click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station tab below the icons to assign a name and device password and adjust Time Zone settings

Click the Wireless tab

Wireless Mode = Extend a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Click the selection box and the name of the Time Capsule wireless network should appear. If it does not appear, enter the exact name of the Time Capsule wireless network by typing it in

Enter a check mark next to Allow Wireless Clients

Wireless Security = Exact same setting as your Time Capsule wireless network

Wireless Password = Same password as your Time Capsule wireless network

Confirm Password

Update to save settings. If your settings are correct, you will have a green light in 40-45 seconds

Unplug the Express and locate at a point that is about 1/2 the distance from the Time Capsule to the general area that needs more wireless coverage.

Post on your results.

Jun 18, 2011 9:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Timmons, you're a genius. I made the changes as you outlined and everything works perfect. What a lovely little green light. I've already tested remote connectivity with my laptop in the upstairs bedroom... full signal strength! I'm pretty sure my error was in setting up the WDS setting when I first purchased the Express (based on instructions from Apple in how to use AE to extend your network). In any case, going back and setting it to "extend network" as you suggested worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

Jun 21, 2011 11:40 AM in response to Russellboy

Hello everybody,

Sorry to jump in the discussion, not really sure it's the good thread, but it's the closest to my problem that I found.

Okay here's the deal :

I used to stream audio content through airplay from an ipad to my airport express.

It was great and it worked for the ipod app but also for other apps such as aweditorium for example.

Airport Express is still working. I can see it from the Mac. It show in Itunes and in Airfoil, which I use to stream every other from the mac.

BUT, it is not working anymore from the ipad. There's no "airplay" icon anymore in ipod player.

What did I do.

Only thing I did was disable the "N" wifi from my routeur because THEN, the ipad wasn't seeing the wifi AT ALL.

Now the wifi is fine on the iPad BUT, not airplay.

Please help ?

Thank You

Mister Jukebox

Jul 5, 2011 6:50 AM in response to Russellboy

Hi

Great exchange

I have gone through all of what you so perfectly described. I have my Airport Extreem in my downstairs office, a Airport Express at the base of my stairs going to the upstairs bedrooms where my kids are. It was set up to Extend a Network. I have green lights all around yet it does not seem to be working. Even stading right next to the express I dont get great connectivity. Upstairs it is horrible if at all. Not sure what to do. Do I need a second express chained together? Seems there is a problem with the one since the signal strength is not great even right next to it with my iPad.

You guys seem to be on this stuff, would appreciate any thoughts you might have for me to improve. Running CAT V is not a real option.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2011 5:09 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, you seem to be very good at fixing these, so can I ask a question. I am having a similar issue to Russelboy.

I have an exisitng network in my house - its not run through a mac wifi system. - It came with the house so I know little about it, except how to connect to it. Which the Mac is happily doing.

I have an Airport Express that I was hoping to use just to connect the speakers and printer too.

I go through the set up via air port utlity happily, and it all works until i get to the last stage, after reset it is unable to reconnect and i get the same as RusselBoy described - "the settings for this AirPort device have been updated, but there was a problem re-joining the wireless network or finding the Airport device. I then close and reopen the AirPort Utility and the Airport Express no longer shows up (even though plugged into the iMac via Ethernet). AE still blinks amber."

To be able to see the airport after this I have to do a factory or hard reset.

I was unsure of how many of the commects you gave before related to the system russelboy had and wondered if you were able to answer my issue too.

Thanks!

Lizzy

Jul 16, 2011 5:23 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Sorry to bother you again - but I thought I would further explain what I have done.

I followed theses instuctions of yours.

"Perform a Factory Default Reset on the Airport Express (its currently not connected to an ethernet cable is this an issue)

Open AirPort Utility - Select the AirPort Express - Click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station tab below the icons to assign a name and device password and adjust Time Zone settings

Click the Wireless tab

Wireless Mode = Extend a wireless network - I didn't have this option so selected join.

Wireless Network Name = Click the selection box and the name of the Time Capsule wireless network should appear. It did.

Update to save settings. If your settings are correct, you will have a green light in 40-45 seconds" - unfortuntaly this didnt happen I was faced with this message again...

"The settings for this AirPort wireless device have been successfully updated, but there was a problem re-joining the wireless network or finding the AirPort wireless device. You may need to select your network from the Wi-Fi menu and try again.

The settings for this AirPort wireless device have been successfully updated, but there was a problem re-joining the wireless network or finding the AirPort wireless device. You may need to select your network from the Wi-Fi menu and try again."

Airport Express problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.