Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system requirements

Apple's web site lists the minimum system requirements for KN3 as a G4 or better. However, one worker at Macworld thought it might still function on older machines that run version 2 but he couldn't guarantee/support it. Has anyone been successful at running KN3 on an older machine (e.g. 800 MHz G3 iBook)?

Posted on Jan 12, 2006 5:09 PM

14 replies

Jan 18, 2006 8:24 AM in response to Doug Hirzel

I've been looking all over for the answer to this question. I can understand that you would need 32 meg of VRAM for some of Keynote's new visual effects, but I can't understand why that requirement would be applied to Pages as well, or even why it would be applied categorically to Keynote. I use Keynote heavily on a 500 Mhz iBook. It works fine, and I know I can't use most of the slide transitions because they don't look good. So why not continue with that approach.

Of course Apple wants us all to buy new laptops, but surely it is obvious many of us can't or won't do this immediately, and it would only hurt iWork sales.

Jan 18, 2006 9:02 AM in response to Joel Nelson

I received my copy of iWork '06 and am using Pages and Keynote with no problems on my 800 MHz iBook. It does have 32 MB VRAM... Keynote probably wouldn't do well with 16 MB VRAM. To install iWork you have to either install it on a G4 and then move the files over (not copy unless you have multiple licenses), or else use Pacifist to extract the applications from the setup packages.

Jan 20, 2006 7:27 AM in response to Joel Nelson

Joel, Did you also upgrade to iLife '06 as well? I ask because I wonder if there are any incompatibilites between, for example iPhoto 05 and KN3 (like when using the Media Inspector to bring photos in from iPhoto to a presentation). Have you tried something like that yet?

iBook, dual usb, 500mhz G3, 640mbRAM, airport; iMac G5 iSight, 2.1ghz, 1 Gb RAM Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Jan 20, 2006 8:26 PM in response to Andrew Cohill

You may find that the posted limmitation is so they don't give people the right to say "Pages is slow on my G3" which it would be.

Heck, applying a 3d graph on my new imac takes a second or two.

I've used Pages with a G4 ibook all last year, mostly playing and experimenting. It was dogged slow and required the patience of Job (no, not Steve, the other guy) to use.

I can only imagine what it would be like waiting forever for a change on a G3 ibook. There has to be a line for modern programs. That line has advanced past your current hardware.

Apr 3, 2006 9:08 AM in response to Michael Hesson

But, concerning the power of my ibook should I try keynote 2 or keynote 3. Are the features of keynote 3 so different of keynote 2 to consider the last version, considering that fancy transitions are not critical for the purposes of my work. ( I do research, and I only apply transitions of particular objects within the same slide, such as hide/show cycles).
Thanks and best regards

Pedro

Apr 3, 2006 5:19 PM in response to Pedro Alves

I'm not sure...I haven't tried Keynote 3 on any of my machines yet, but my impression from reading other posts in this group and elsewhere is that you won't be able to take full advantage of the upgrade from KN 2 to KN 3 because of the G3 processor and video card. So, you might get an extra theme or maybe another transition or two out of KN 3, and you might get to take advantage of interleaved builds, but there will still be transitions that won't work, or that will run too slow on your G3 to be useful. That's my impression, anyway. I'm kind of hoping to get a Macbook Pro, at which point I will seriously consider upgrading. For right now, I just do basic presentations (college lectures) and KN 2 seems to be enough.

iBook, dual usb, 500mhz G3, 640mbRAM, airport; iMac G5 iSight, 2.1ghz, 1 Gb RAM Mac OS X (10.4.4)

system requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.