Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 13" i7 slow after restoring Time Machine Backup

Hi,

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro 13" with the i7 processor.

My previous computer was a Mid-2007 iMac Alu 20".

The first thing I did on my MacBook Pro was to perform a restore of the latest backup of my iMac from my Time Machine backup. The process was all OK and I was quite amazed to see that everything was just as exact as on my imac on my macbook pro.

My amazement unfortunately stopped there. For instance, I noticed that the MacBook Pro was slow for a new i7 machine. I takes some time to open apps, it's very slow when I try running VMWare Fusion, sometimes when I have a video streaming on safari it tends to bug a bit and I cannot run lot of apps a the same time!!

I compared my MacBook Pro with a friend's MacBook Pro (the i5 one) and his computer was MUCH faster!!

How can I solve my problem without having to re-install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard and moving my documents "manually" from my iMac?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Early 2011 - 13" - Intel i7 2.7GHz

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 6:41 AM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2011 4:19 PM in response to matappassamy

matappassamy wrote:

. . .

The first thing I did on my MacBook Pro was to perform a restore of the latest backup of my iMac from my Time Machine backup.

How did you do that? If you did a full system restore, starting with your Snow Leopard install disc, that's the problem. You've erased the version of OSX your new Mac came with, and replaced it with one from a whole different model of Mac! Start over, and use Setup Assistant instead. See How do I set up a new Mac from my old Mac or its backups? The green box there shows how to start over.

If that's not what you did, please clarify.

Jun 19, 2011 4:53 PM in response to matappassamy

You can't use OS X from a different model of Mac.

The reason it's crawling is because you don't have the hardware and video drivers that tie OS X to each particular model of Mac's hardware characteristics.

I quite surprised TimeMachine is so inept to allow you to do such a thing. 🙂

It's not your fault, it's Apple's for not planning on every possible contingency.

Well you'll have to hold c and boot from the installer disks that came with your new Mac.

A couple of screens in, a Utilities menu option for Disk Utility, launch that.

On your right is your internal boot drive, click it and Format Hfs+ Journaled, Erase > Security Option Zero All Data. Going to take a hour or so.

Once that's done, quit Disk Utility and in the installer, install OS X.

Once that's done, reboot and connect the TimeMachine drive during the video.

You'll go through the Mac settup and be offered a opportunity to use Setup Assistant and that's when you use the TImeMachine drive.

If it doesn't work and your machine is still slow, then repeat above and avoid Setup Assistant and do fresh installs manually.

With a Firewire cable, you can T boot the old Mac and access the drive from the new Mac.

You can also use Setup Assistant T-Booting the old Mac as well (and likely better than TimeMachine)

Jun 19, 2011 11:25 PM in response to ds store

Hi,

I think that you both misunderstood my problem and that it's because of my poor english! Sorry!

I didn't really restore the mac from TimeMachine. What I did is: I switched on my MacBook Pro for the first time and on the screen of migration assistant I chose to import my data from a timemachine backup disk.

And it's after that, that it started to be slow!

So, as I erased everything from my old iMac... How can I do to solve my problem? 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Jun 20, 2011 7:00 AM in response to matappassamy

Ah, yes, we did misunderstand, sorry. 😟

There are lots of things that can cause a system to be slow, unfortunately.

One is, the startup drive being too full. Make sure there's at least 10% free space, or at least 10 GB, preferably more.

Second is, not enough RAM. Do you have at least as much as before?

They're a bit out of date, but check out these pages from http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html:

Jan 14, 2014 4:51 PM in response to matappassamy

I had the same thing happen but going from a time machine backup of a 1.7 Macbook Air to a 2.3 Macbook Pro. The Macbook Pro has a bigger hard drive, same ram and faster processor but it is positively crawling. I know it's software because before I restored from the backup it was noticeably faster than the Macbook Air. What do I need to do? I repaired permissions and verified the disk. everything is good except one Core... file was modified and will not be repaired message. It's like molasses.

New MacBook Pro 13" i7 slow after restoring Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.