Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera connection kit - does it show file system on SD card?

Does the CCK show the entire file system on the SD card (like a card reader that you plug in a Mac or PC) or all the files at once (like Image Capture on the Mac)?

I need to see the entire file system so that I can easily back up what I want, for example the daily, weekly, or monthly folders that my camera creates, (depending on how I set it up), and keep the same folder structure and metadata. I already have a card reader that does that - ZoomIt - except that it is very slow. I am willing to give Apple's CCK a try, but only if it shows the entire file system on the SD card.

I read similar posts, but it is not clear (maybe it shows you the file system only if the root is named "DCIM"?). That would be less flexible than a standard card reader, but still serving my purpose.

Thanks in advance

macbook pro 2007, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 3GS, 4, iPad2, lates OS

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 9:46 AM

It only shows you thumbnails of the photos that are on the card (the same as how thumbnails are shown in the Photos app), it doesn't show directories or filenames. You can then chose which photos to import into the Photos app.

13 replies

Jun 19, 2011 10:40 AM in response to unixnerd09

iOS devices do not provide for end-user access to the underlying files system. The user's view of 'files' is controlled by the app which in the case of the CCK is generally the Photo app. The app is only supposed to recognize only a camera or an SD card if it is written directly from a camera. Even with that, I do not think the app allows the user much flexibility as far as creating albums and moving/deleting photos. You might check the App Store and see if there is an app that will allow the file system access you are looking for but I would not expect it to interact with the Photo app.

Jun 19, 2011 11:39 AM in response to unixnerd09

1.) You can choose photos, albums, events, places or people..accordingly.

2.) If the AVI is iTunes compatible, movies are imported, same as images. Be aware of file size so you don't fill up your iPad while traveling... I'd think extra SD cards would be good insurance in that case. Perhaps a portable BlueTooth hard drive if you need significant storage otherwise.

As always, test before traveling 🙂

Jun 19, 2011 11:46 AM in response to unixnerd09

In terms of albums they go into an 'Imported' album (which shows as 'Last Import' and 'All Imported'). In terms of Events you'll get one for each photo date from each import - so if you import photos shot on the same day from two different cards you'll get two date events, one for each card.

My compact camera shoots .MOV videos and it imports and plays them in the Photos app. Can't say for sure about AVIs, but the iPad spec page shows that AVI is supported.

If you want to check whether your AVI's are supported then you can use an app such as Simple Photo & Video Transfer (which is a free lite version of Simple Transfer) to upload one of your videos from your computer to the iPad and then see if it appears and plays in the Camera Roll/Saved Photos album in Photos.

Jun 19, 2011 12:03 PM in response to unixnerd09

I don't use mine that ofter as I do most of my syncing via my computer so that I have full control over what album each photo goes into, but it has been useful on occasion e.g. on a few occasions I've been able to quickly check my photos on a bigger screen than the back of my camera without having to take my laptop.

It also has the advantage that unlike iTunes syncing the photos don't get 'optimised' during the transfer, so you have the full original resolution of the photo on the iPad.

Jun 20, 2011 1:10 AM in response to unixnerd09

Just a follow-up:

In the Photo app, if you load a movie through the CCK that cannot be displayed/played on the iPad, there are no controls for the item, including the Trashcan to delete. The movies can be deleted in Thumbnail mode by:

1) pressing the arrowed rectangle icon - the Delete button should display and page title is Select Items

2) tap the items to select the movies and other items - a check mark appears on the item(s) and the Delete button becomes active

3) press the Delete button

camera connection kit - does it show file system on SD card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.