Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MBP 13-inch 2.3 GHz CPU Temp Issue

Hi everyone!

I am new both to the Apple forum and the Mac. Two days ago, I purchased my very first Mac--MBP 13-inch 2.3 GHz (not customized or anything). I've been playing around with the different applications and researching on different forums about CPU temp. In a quiet room, I can hear the low buzz/hum of the computer. I thought MBPs were pretty much silent? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong.

On average, CPU temp is around 49-55 degrees Celsius with the fan running just under 2000 RPM which is fine. When I tried recording my voice through the built-in mic on GarageBand, after about 10 minutes, I heard the fan go on full blast. I checked iStat Nano, and the CPU temp was 91 degrees Celsius with the fans running from 6200 - 7000 RPM. Is this normal? I had Firefox, TweetDeck, and iChat running in the background. Should I only have GarageBand open and nothing else in order for the CPU temp to not become as hot? 91 degrees Celsius is around 195 F so that scared me, and my computer was super hot combined with a really loud fan. Should I call Apple for support?

Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 1:38 PM

1 reply

Jun 19, 2011 1:56 PM in response to juliehsieh

I love Firefox, its the absolute greatest browser in the world I use it myself.

However Firefox and Chrome both are HUGE memory hogs, so you have to be a bit more conservative using them with other applicaiton's open. Occassionally in Firefox you may have to close all open windows and create a new one just to flush the RAM. Because everytime you open a new tab, it asks OS X for more memory and then doesn't give it back.

Also you must remember you bought a integrated graphics computer, meaning the CPU (processor) also does the graphics. This is double duty work the CPU must do and therefore twice the heat in one location.

There is a huge thread on these forums about the overheating 13" MacBook Pro's, perhaps if your a power user or a heavy multi-tasker that your should consider returning that machine complaining about the heat and get a 2.2 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro (or better) with the 1GB Radeon 6750M. It's a MUCH cooler machine and more powerful. I also advise the anti-glare high res screen so there are no reflections in the clasroom or at work etc.

I think you have a 14 day return window.

User uploaded file

2011 MBP 13-inch 2.3 GHz CPU Temp Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.