Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Model

I have a PowerMac G4 (blue tower) it says it is an PowerMac G4 on the case and in the About This Mac window but MacTracker says it is a G3 according to its pic and model number. So is it a mistake with MacTracker or is the Mac really another Mac.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Mac Powermac G4 10.3.9

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 4:36 PM

Open System Profile (or Apple System Profile) in the Utilities folder. What Model Identifier is reported on the right in the opening display? If it says PowerMac 1,2 or better then it's a G4.

21 replies

Jun 19, 2011 5:18 PM in response to SpotComms

SpotComms wrote:

Also it does not have a zip drive or floppy drive.

Could it be this one that you are talking about? As Kappy says, if System Profiler says 1,2 or better as the PowerMac model, then it is for sure a G4. The linked description shows a case that is remarkably similar to the B&W G3, just a little more subdued blue color for the G4.

If you get the PowerMac version number, you can check out specs and stuff at this link.

BTW, looking at the EveryMac picture of the G3 B&W, I saw something that has apparently eluded me for 12 years, i.e., the big "G3" on the left side of the case, actually subtly applied to the metal panel making up the left of the frame. Of course, the way I set things up with that unit, that side was always away from me, so maybe I have an excuse for never noticing. 😀

Jun 19, 2011 5:23 PM in response to SpotComms

SpotComms wrote:

It is exactly that one but without the floppy drive.

You may be referring to the Zip drive in the picture, as I don't think you could get a G4 configured with a floppy internal. My old B&W doesn't have a floppy, though I did order it with a Zip drive. Amazing how useful a 100 MB removal storage device was around the turn of the century. (At least it allowed me to bring some stuff home and hold those office days in the low double digits. Do not miss that for even one nanosecond, thank you.)

Jun 19, 2011 6:11 PM in response to SpotComms

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, click on the text below Mac OS X where it says Version 10.4.x and report the Build# please.

Then click on More Info>Hardware and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5 Quad

Machine Model: PowerMac11,2

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs: 4

CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 10 GB

Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

Mac Model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.