Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you click and drag with the magic trackpad?

I cannot seem to get anything to drag with my new magic trackpad. Is there a little secret touch you need to get this to work?

Dan

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 5:55 PM

7 replies

Jun 20, 2011 1:01 PM in response to captfred

fred

Absolutely!!! You are a big help,thisir! Thank you!

The MT is an interesting bit of hardware. The design and functionality of this has a very serious learning curve. Most users are totally put off by the "sensitivity" issue when first using it. They would love to be able to dial down the pad's touch responsiveness.

But actually the designers of this trackpad intended the thing to be overly responsive so as to give the experienced user the ability (once learned) to fly through the screen.

Anyway, fred......your suggestion was a huge help!

Dan

Aug 7, 2015 8:48 PM in response to SillTry'n

Howdy folks. This is an old thread but I feel it needs an update because the title is precisely the problem I was having with a new mid 2015 MBP, running Yosemite 10.10.4, with the new force touch build in trackpads, which are VERY nice, but restrict your position if you are working for extended periods of time. I bought the magic trackpad to free up my right hand.

Feel free to skip to the solution below (>>>)

As an aside, I recently made the switch from PC to Mac for compatibility with pro audio hardware and software. I am a GIS analyst by trade, which means I make maps all day long on computer. I have found the Logitech M570 trackball to be the most ergonomic and precise tool for working non-stop day after day on a PC with multiple screens. (normal mice are horrible working on 2-3 screens...) On a PC, the M570 is an absolutely phenomenal, fast and ultra precise tool. I am a diehard fan of that trackball mouse, and have worn out a few over the years. To my great consternation I found that the M570 is very laggy and doesn't work well on my MBP, doesn't work with momentum scrolling, and needs 3rd party software to make the back and forward buttons work. It also occupies one of my two precious USB 3.0 ports, all of the time.

The built in trackpad is amazing however. Certainly good enough for fast precision work, it's best track pad I have ever used hands down. It has two levels of force touch clicking (a first shallow click, and then a second deeper click when more force is used), which are adjustable for the amount of pressure needed to push and click the trackpad. That is amazing. Kudos Apple.

But having my hand in one position for a long time bothers me and so I bought the Magic Trackpad for it's bluetooth capability to free up a USB port, and for more realestate on the pad itself. But it does not have same force touch that the built in trackpad has, and I quickly found out that I could not drag and drop anything at all, after trying all the options available in the system preferences for the trackpad.

>>>

A quick call to apple and they had the workaround: System Preferences>Accessibility>Scroll down in the box on the left until you see Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options>Check Enable Dragging> and choose your style.

I cannot say how well a trackpad works on a desktop with 3 screens. But I can say on a laptop both of these trackpad leave nothing to be desired, coming from a hardcore trackball guy who demands speed and precision. Pretty good stuff.

Hope this helps someone.

How do you click and drag with the magic trackpad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.