Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bizarre bootdisk 'problem'

Hi all,

I'm having a bizarre puzzling 'issue' concerning one of my boot hard drives, and I was just wondering if I should be concerned or not.

So recently I reformatted my Bootcamp drive (no need of Windows anymore) with the intent of cloning another start-up disk on it, so that I could reformat the latter from a two partition scheme to a single empty one for data-backup purposes. The HFS+ disk to be cloned was called 'あかり' and I reformatted the Bootcamp drive to HFS+ using a GUID partition table but also named it 'あかり'. Then I wanted to clone the former on the latter using a Carbon Copy Cloner bit-level clone procedure.

However, since both drives were called 'あかり' at this point it was impossible to discern in CCC which was the one to be cloned and which was the clone-to-be 😕 . So I temporarily renamed the destination drive '茸' using the Finder. Cloning then proceeded smoothly, after which I renamed the '茸'

drive back to 'あかり' in the Finder and reformatted the other drive to an empty HFS+ drive named '綾子'.

So now the strange behaviour I am seeing is the following: although the freshly cloned drive is seen as 'あかり' everywhere (Disk Utlity, Finder, Startup Disk chooser, ...) and boots just fine, whenever I reboot and hold alt to choose my start-up drive it appears as '茸' in the grey selection screen instead of ’あかり'. I also tried a full cold boot, but to no avail. Again, it does not seem to interfere with the booting or functioning of the clone but it leaves me a bit puzzled (and slightly worried it might perhaps lead to problems down the road).

So is there anybody who might have an idea why this happens (and if it will potentially cause issues later on)?

Thx in advance!

Mac Pro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 1:37 AM

There are no replies.

Bizarre bootdisk 'problem'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.