Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell iTune to keep every backup?

My iTune used to save all history of iPhone backup. Somehow it's not doing that anymore. Is iTune disabled that feature? How do I make it to keep every backup?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 5:47 AM

98 replies

Jun 20, 2011 5:51 AM in response to joea8888

iTunes has never saved a history of backups. All that it has ever saved is the most recent backup, which is inremental (only changes since the last backup). When you upgrade the phone to a version that is not compatible with the previous backup it will start a new backup, and the old one will still be listed, but this is the only time more than one backup will be saved.

If you want to save multiple backups you will have to us a backup program on your computer. If you have a Mac Time Machine will do this automatically; for Windows you will have to install a separate backup program.

Jun 20, 2011 5:51 AM in response to joea8888

iTunes has never saved a separate backup everytime you sync your phone or manually perform a backup. Only one normal iPhone backup is kept, it's actually an incremental backup in that only data that has changed is actually backed up. If you want to keep separate backups, you'll have to copy the backup folder to a different location after each sync. Why you'd want to do this doesn't make a lot of sense though.

Jun 20, 2011 6:46 AM in response to joea8888

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

So iTunes doesn't have separated backup copies for all sync. I got that now. But my issue still remains though.

Maybe I should rephrase my question like this.

"My iTunes used to create incremental backup everytime I do sync, now I can only see the last sync/backup"

I synced a few times already since I've upgraded to the current firmware iOS 4.3.2. And if I check the backup history (Preferences -> Devices) it'll show

• iPhone <Today>
  • iPhone 20/02/2011
  • <some older backups with date>

Looks like it's been happening for a while as you can see the second newest one is a few months old.

Jun 20, 2011 6:48 AM in response to joea8888

joea8888 wrote:

"My iTunes used to create incremental backup everytime I do sync, now I can only see the last sync/backup"

Again, iTunes has NEVER kept separate backups. Only ONE normal backup is kept. Any other backups listed are backups created from restore points. These backups are time/date stamped and are not overwritten.

Oct 24, 2011 10:29 AM in response to wjosten

Wjosten, you are incorrect. In previous versions of iTunes it did indeed allow incremental backups. You used to be able to create and then restore from a myriad of old backups made on your local drive. I don't know when this functionality was removed (it was removed prior to the latest version of iTunes - I just don't remember which one), but it was a great tool that I wish Apple would reconsider putting back.

So, to the OP, as far as I know - no, there is no longer a way to do this. I'm researching it right now to see if I can find a workaround. If I come across anything useful, I'll post it.

Nov 26, 2011 4:25 AM in response to BeachHome3

The ability to keep multiple backups was NEVER THERE. Yes, sometimes there was more than one backup, but only if they were backups of older versions. Once you updated the older version to a new one backups would not reload. You could see them, but not use them. However, if your computer is a Mac with Time Machine, or you have a backup program on your PC that keeps version backups, you can still restore one of the version backups.

Nov 26, 2011 7:08 AM in response to Andreas - Gothenburg

Use some common sense here...if iTunes kept a separate iPhone backup, every time you synced...what do you think would quickly happen, given the fact that many users sync every day, and many have more than one iPhone syncing to the same computer?

You'd need a hard drive measured in terabytes...many, many terabytes. Not to mention there is absolutely no need to keep separate backups, given the fact that, for the most part, not much data actually changes.

How to tell iTune to keep every backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.