Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change page margins to print email

Is there any way to change the page margins when printing emails? When I print out an email, the page margins are a good 1" on top, left and bottom so I have to reduce the type in order to keep simple emails on one sheet of paper.

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 10:23 AM

13 replies

Jun 21, 2017 11:38 AM in response to billearl

Haven't tried but sounds logical eh. I think this is what Apple users call "intuitive" learning, which I am learning means 'trail 'n error', looking at a problem from different prospectives. It is intuition defined as observation + awareness, n'est pas.

Re: mail 7.0 new message window size issue

This thread is also helpful in understanding the issue of challenges with margins and if I understand the discussion, the source of the issue may be in the html code of the sending fixing margins rather than

in the Mac's performance. Would love to hear from other posters if I am understanding this correctly.

Jun 20, 2011 12:10 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for the quick response. I had already set up a custom "8.5 x 11" size with no margins, but it seems that the page layout choices don't apply to the mail program. That's the only app that I have the problem with. I work in a print shop and operate a dozen different kinds of printers so I am familiar with custom page sizes. The main problem is the huge margins on the top and bottom of the sheet. Here is a jpg showing how the margins are printing. Can the top and bottom margins be changed some how? Thanks for your help!

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2011 1:22 PM in response to vsrprint

Whew, that's what I get for never printing an eMail since OS9 days, but you're correct, Mail does not respect those settings. 😟

I've had a look about & cannot find where it gets that "hard wired" setting from.

The only work around I've found that doesn't require too many steps is to get Tex-Edit Plus for OS X...

http://www.tex-edit.com/

In Mail Select All, Copy, Paste into Tex-Edit Plus, set borders in it and Pint., here's Zero all borders..

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2011 1:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks so much for confirming my worst fears 🙂 I appreciate the tex-edit suggestion, but I have 100's of orders that come via email and I can't spend the xtra time creating a new document for each one. I was printing those orders from an OS9 mac but finally had to switch them to a different computer (powermac G5). I will have to upgrade soon to an intel mac, so do you know if the mail program still has this problem in 10.6?

Jun 20, 2011 2:24 PM in response to vsrprint

I can test 10.6 & up later tonight, but right now 10.5.8 does the same, & btw Text Edit doesn't work for this, it must be some System wide setting.

Also, both Mail & Tex-Edit Plus are scriptable, so I'd think you could make it almost automatic. 🙂

In 10.5.8 when I select all I can only get the header or the body, not both.

Jun 20, 2011 7:59 PM in response to vsrprint

Nope, Mail 4.5 in 10.6 doesn't do it either... & I got a kick out of this... not even when I choose any of the Borderless options for Photo Paper! 😟

Not only that, but it seems impossible to include the From or any header unless you choose Show Long Headers which really gets ridiculous!!! 😠

Nov 11, 2013 10:59 PM in response to vsrprint

I am having the same issue - I have orders coming in by email that I need to print out as order tickets. In the email I have the submissions set to come in as html tables, all of a uniform size. I want to print 4 per page, and can do that by selecting emails, "Print", and then 4 pages per sheet in the print settings and it gives me 4 unique orders on one sheet. But the giant standard margins make it so the submission tables are way too small and I don't want the email header information displayed. This really doesn't seem like too much to ask, I hope it's not really as impossible as all the forums make it seem! BDAqua, you mentioned possibly making a script for this?

Side note - the order submissions are generated from my form on Jotform. This is a great form builder, at least in my first-time experience, but seems lacking in output options - reports can only be generated as tables, and on the web-based submission viewer the print options are extremely limited as well.

Any ideas? I'm running 10.9 and I know this is a 10.4 forum, but there's not much on this anywhere else and it doesn't seem like mail has changed much in this regard. Thanks!

Nov 12, 2013 3:36 AM in response to macbeanAK

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this old thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.

Nov 28, 2013 1:39 PM in response to vsrprint

vsrprint wrote:

Is there any way to change the page margins when printing emails? When I print out an email, the page margins are a good 1" on top, left and bottom so I have to reduce the type in order to keep simple emails on one sheet of paper.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a way to set print margins in Mail, but there is a kludge to reduce margins which requires a couple more steps. When printing an email, choose "Open PDF in Preview" from the Print dialog, then print from Preview setting the scale larger, e.g. 110%. That effectively reduces margins on all sides.

change page margins to print email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.