Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with formula with school notes

Hi,

I would like to create a formulas or whatever... So that when i enter a number it's shows in the same cell the note in the format of B, B+, A-, A, A+ ,etc...

It's for a school teacher, so she can input her notes more easly.

I know that in numbers, there's already a templates for intering notes, but ther are in the % format.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 3G

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 11:50 AM

2 replies

Jun 20, 2011 12:02 PM in response to ovcrash

Hi O,

Here's the sticking point:

"when i enter a number it's shows in the same cell the note..."

In Numbers, a cell may contain a formula (and display the result that formula calculates), or it may contain a value entered directly into the cell using the keyboard or by pasting. It can't contain both.

It is possible, though to put a formula into a cell that would return the letter grade when a second cell contains a number. That number could be calculated, or could be entered directly.

You'll find instructions on how to do this here: Re: Multiple functions?

Regards,

Barry

Jun 20, 2011 12:56 PM in response to ovcrash

The most straightforward way to have it happen within the same cell is to make a custom format. Unfortunately, it is limited to only four conditions so you could do A+, A, A- and B but not the rest. Or you could have A,B,C,D but not F. Doesn't quite solve the problem.

Another possibility for "one cell" operation would be to have overlapping tables. The top table and the text within it would be set to be invisible (no fill, text opacity of zero, etc). You would enter the numeric grades in this table. The table underneath would do a close-match VLOOKUP on the numeric grade (using a lookup table) and display the corresponding letter grade. This is a little bit kludgy but if you need it to be in a "single cell", it will do it. Personally, I'd not do it this way, I'd use two columns (one for the number, one for the letter) and a lookup table because it is simpler. Especially if it is for someone else's use.

Here's a screenshot of the basic idea. Notice how the selected cell appears as an A+ but the formula bar has it as 96. Table 1 is the bottom table, Table 2 is on top of table 1 and is where you enter the numbers, and table 3 on the right is the lookup table. When Table 2 is not selected, it will disappear.

User uploaded file

Help with formula with school notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.