Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a router to the firewall exceptions?

This message keeps repeating endlessly in var/log/ipfw.log:

65534 Deny UDP 0.0.0.0:68 255.255.255.255:67 in via en0

Jun 21 09:46:47 ipfw[311]: 65534 Deny P:88 2xx.10.46.1 224.0.0.10 in via en0

The xx IP in line 2 is my router. How can I stop this error?

Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 5:01 PM

2 replies

Jun 20, 2011 9:25 PM in response to pkmusic

First off, it's not an error. At least not technically.

The traffic it's reporting is merely standard BOOTP/DHCP traffic. I'm guessing your router is also your network's DHCP server and it's sending out normal broadcast traffic as part of its DHCP-related duties.

If you want to stop the logging, either set a rule in the firewall with a no-log option, or turn off the firewall altogether - if you're on a private LAN protected by a hardware firewall there it little to gain in running the software firewall on your server.

Jun 21, 2011 7:36 PM in response to Camelot

Yes I'd like to add a no logging rule. Any sites you'd recommend for learning how to do this? Can I do this via the GUI? I understand the services, but couldn't easily see a way to disable logging on a per address basis.This server experienced a DOS attack a few years back and I'm paranoid about it happening again. Thanks for the reply.

Adding a router to the firewall exceptions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.