Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Drag and Drop to Folder

I know how to pack and unpack folders. But how does one add regions to an existing folder. As the help manual states, that this is done by dragging existing regions into the folder region at the top level of the Arrange hierarchy, and that if the folder does not contain a track that uses the same channel strip as the source region, then LOGIC CREATES ONE. However, it does in my case. It often overlaps some regions on an existing track.

For example, say in my main arrangement I have a folder track on track 1, a MIDI track on track 2, and an audio track on 3, and my folder contains a MIDI track on 1 and an audio track on 2. If I drag a MIDI region from my arrangement (track 2) into the folder, it appears on track 2 in the folder even though this is an audio track. If I drag an audio region from track 3 into the folder, it appears on a newly created track with no output and I have to manually reassign it. Is this a bug or is there something I am doing wrong or a setting I need to alter to make Logic create a new folder channel when a new region is added if an appropriate one does not already exist?

The workaround I have come up with is very cumbersome:

-Create a screenset with 2 arrange pages and an audio environment layer.

-Link the audio environment layer to the arrange with the track you want to move. Select that track on the 1st arrange page. Deselect the link on the environment.

-navigate to the inside of the folder you want to move the region to in the other arrange page. Create an empty track in that folder, then use the Midi Thru tool on the Audio Environment layer to select the highlighted track from step one.

-Now that the folder has the correct track for your region, either carefully drag and drop it from one arrange page to the other or cut and paste at original position after selecting the new track. (If one just drags the region onto the folder it will be placed haphazardly on a random track, not the correct audio instrument track just created and will need to moved immediately.)

-I tried using the track mixer for creating an instrument in the folder (Rt click create/select arrange track) instead of the using the environment midi through tool and it will only create the track on the arrangement if you are viewing ALL tracks, but since I am using multi-channel AU instruments, like Vienna and Kontakt, that obviously wont work.

Overall this seems to be a cumbersome process to perform a very simple task (move regions from the arrange page to an existing folder). Is there a simpler way to do this?

8 Core Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 13 Gigs of RAM

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 6:22 PM

There are no replies.

Issues with Drag and Drop to Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.