Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering Time Machine Backups

I had a power supply die from a Time Capsule. I can get the drive to mount using an external enclosure. The partitions that I see are APconfig, APswap, and Time Capsule. I have a new Time Capsule and I would like to transfer my .sparsebundle and all of my files to the new time Capsule. The Shared folder is easy, I can just drag and drop. Is there an easy way to get the sparsebundle over there? It would be nice if I could drag and drop that, but some how I don't think it is that easy.

Thanks in advance,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 7:16 PM

9 replies

Jun 21, 2011 5:05 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks Pondini. So is it as simple as dragging the sparsebundle. Yes it is around 550GB so with USB 2.0 I am thinking about 15+ hours. I have read some people that say you need to download superduper and then start your time machine on the new TC, then stop it. Then you will have to pick the new Sparsebundle as your destination drive. So it is really as easy as dropping in the sparsebundle? I know it would be best to start fresh, but I guess I just want that time machine back up of when the computer was new. I also erased some items that I want back.

See I am planning on sending back the defective TC. It is just 6 months old. Apple said they do not do any data recocvery which I understand. I spoke with three reps and explained since the little green light was not on, I think it is a power supply issue and not a data recovery issue. I explained that as soon as apple gets it they will take it apart and save what parts they can. My HD is just sitting in there perfect as ever. I had some very special images of a loved one on that drive. I used it as a small NAS for a PC as well. I do not have the image saved on the PC anymore so that picture was very meaningful to me. I am planning on sending it back once I exctract all the data from it. I just wanted to pick up where I left off on the Time Machine back ups.

Jun 21, 2011 5:22 PM in response to Naicidrac

Naicidrac wrote:

Thanks Pondini. So is it as simple as dragging the sparsebundle. Yes it is around 550GB so with USB 2.0 I am thinking about 15+ hours.

It won't go at USB speed; you may have the USB drive connected to your Mac, but even if you connect to the TC via Ethernet, it will be much slower. I'd guess 20-24 GB per hour at most.

If you're thinking of connecting the USB drive directly, don't. There is a utility on the TC to "archive" the internal HD to a directly-connected USB drive, but it doesn't work the other way. If you connect that way and drag the sparsebundle, the data will go from the USB drive, through the TC, to your Mac, then back to the TC.

I have read some people that say you need to download superduper and then start your time machine on the new TC, then stop it.

You have to use different methods in different circumstances; and there are differences on Leopard for directly-connected disks, and for converting from local to network. See #18 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

I used it as a small NAS for a PC as well. I do not have the image saved on the PC anymore so that picture was very meaningful to me.

This is a good time to recommend keeping "secondary" backups. See #27 in the FAQ for some recommendations.

I just wanted to pick up where I left off on the Time Machine back ups.

I understand, but it may not be worth the hassle. 😟 If Apple is insisting they won't honor the warranty without the disk, they're certainly within their rights, but you might ask for a supervisor to make an exception. You never know.

Jun 21, 2011 5:37 PM in response to Pondini

Yes you are exactly right. I am sorry I did not explain myself well. Apple would be well within their rights if I did not give back the HD or TC. The TC died because of bad power supply. The HD was fine. Apple said they will not do data recovery. I will give them the HD back with ease. I just wanted my data off of there, ie...the meaningful pictures. You are so right when you are talking about redunduncy. This is an eye opener. I just want them to allow me to return this TC since I opened it to get the HD out. Once I placed it in my enclosure it mounted up fine. I got the shared folder off and now I am trying to get the back up images. You are also correct in that it might be more trouble than it is worth.

What I have done is pulled out the TC HD. Once I connected it to the iMac via enclosure and USB I saw three partitions, APconfig, APswap, and Time Capsule. Right now I just took everything off of the TC, i.e. computername.sparsebundle and dragged it onto the new TC drive. It is actually 735 GB and right now it is saying right at 20 hours. I am hoping that once I set Time Machine up to run on the new TC that it will work. Some time tomorrow should I be able to pick up my time machine back ups from where I left off? This might be way too much trouble for something like my old backups. Thanks for the great advice.

Transfering Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.