Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Server has been discontinued

I don't know that this really means, but apparently the product that I've loved for the past 3.5 years has been discontinued.

Important Information about Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Express, and Final Cut Server

Effective June 21, 2011, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Express, and Final Cut Server have reached end of life. Resellers may return any unsold inventory to Apple. If resellers opt to return unsold inventory, it will not count against the reseller return cap. See standard policies and procedures regarding returns for more information.

Nicholas Stokes

XPlatform Consulting

web: http://www.xplatformconsulting.com

8 Core Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 7:29 AM

21 replies

Jun 21, 2011 7:41 AM in response to Nicholas Stokes

I know Nick. We're all waiting for some more info. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help keep it alive, as you know we have a very customized distribution with a lot of workflows and scripts that I built myself, to sell the service of managing footage for huge world-class companies, and there has to be some solution for people like us other than "sorry about your luck!" I really don't want to start over. At the very least I hope Apple open sources it and makes developer docs available.

Jun 21, 2011 10:04 AM in response to Nicholas Stokes

Honestly, this is horrible. I feel like it is very telling that the professional market is no longer a concern to Apple software. I've been happily customizing our install of FCSvr for 3 years and now it's EOL. Such a great product and it filled such a void.

Really at this point, I have lost any need to keep our organization connected to Apple production software. FCSvr tied it all together. Now I might as well explore Avid or, gasp, even CS5.

This really shakes my confidence.

Jun 21, 2011 10:20 AM in response to jheywood

I work in an archive with literally 200000 tapes of various formats and god know how many feet of film. FCPX leaves us out in the cold and our asset manager FCserver useless. ***? I would consider CS5 if I didn't think that adobe will follow suit with Apple. What are we to do with legacy materials? What are we to do with asset management? Confidence shaken as well.

Jun 21, 2011 11:54 AM in response to Nicholas Stokes

I work in higher education as well. The ability to tag, find and re-edit content from a single location, with archiving features, etc made Final Cut Server very attractive - especially at the price point. It was a natural extension of XSAN for us, making online and archived content available for our instructional designers and instructors without our intervention. I'm upset and disappointed, not to mention embarrassed that Apple has done this.

Jun 21, 2011 4:04 PM in response to Jeff Handy

I just saw something that FCPx does not work with shared media or SAN's. The footage has to be local. Not sure if that is true, trying to locate confirmation. But that would explain the kill order.

Strange though, if the future is tapeless (which is now for our setup) then surely the future is also shared (which again is our current setup)

Jun 22, 2011 1:23 AM in response to Nicholas Stokes

Are they insane? Bought an entire XSAN environment based upon the use of FCSr. And now they tell me the product is dead? After 3 years? We are heavily based around FCSr, what does Apple suggest we do about that? Oh, yeah, the product works for now, but updates? New features? I´m getting sick about Apple. All they want to do is to sell phones and iPods.

Jun 22, 2011 6:00 AM in response to Nicholas Stokes

Hi, all, this is horrible.

We've been putting our Broadcast Asset Management into FCsvr from 1 year, and now we're working on the Archive Asset Management side with another FCsvr. We also built an iPad application to browse the contents, and this week I installed to our CEO, and now I need to tell that this is at the end (when just beginning).

OK, no more Pro/Enterprise into Apple, no more Apple for Pro/Enterprise (in any way)

Jun 22, 2011 6:06 AM in response to miguel ángel

It is a real pain. I've been putting material into FCP for over a year now too, customising fields and groups etc.

You can still use FCSvr as a database, and still cache down material to be used locally, but you completely lose the smart integration with FCP which made it such a great option for any team of people using FCP and sharing / storing content.

Final Cut Server has been discontinued

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.