Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD asks for Task Server on startup

I purchased ARD last week from the Mac Appstore and installed it on my MacBook Pro under my default user account. This account has no administrator privileges.

Everytime I start ARD a "Remote Desktop Setup" window shows, asking me to enter the location of the Task Server.

But no matter what I enter (or do not enter), this window keeps coming back.

User Disk Utility to repair permissions, but that did not help.

I'm sure I can fix it by giving my account the administrator privileges, but I want to avoid that.

Are there other options to get rid of this window?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 10:24 AM

I think it is a privilege issue when setting up the program. Your changes will stick if you interact with the popup as an admin, but won't as a regular user. I like to work in a non-admin account, so this is how I fixed it to work in a regular user account:

I changed my user account in which ARD was installed to have admin privileges (reboot required), launched ARD, indicated that I did not want to use a remote task server by not checking the box, clicked done, allowed ARD to load and then quit. I relaunched ARD to ensure the popup did not pop up -- it did not. I then removed admin privileges from my user account (reboot required). Now, even as a regular user, I no longer get that popup on startup -- it just launches straight into ARD.

Note, I'm running OSX 10.6.7

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2011 10:24 AM in response to bestaatdezeal

I think it is a privilege issue when setting up the program. Your changes will stick if you interact with the popup as an admin, but won't as a regular user. I like to work in a non-admin account, so this is how I fixed it to work in a regular user account:

I changed my user account in which ARD was installed to have admin privileges (reboot required), launched ARD, indicated that I did not want to use a remote task server by not checking the box, clicked done, allowed ARD to load and then quit. I relaunched ARD to ensure the popup did not pop up -- it did not. I then removed admin privileges from my user account (reboot required). Now, even as a regular user, I no longer get that popup on startup -- it just launches straight into ARD.

Note, I'm running OSX 10.6.7

ARD asks for Task Server on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.