Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set a version number for an AppleScript application?

Subject kind of says it all... I've written a small application in AppleScript, which is used on several computers. I'd like the application to have a version number, just like normal applications have. How do I give it one?

To be clear, what I mean is: in column view, if you click once on an application, it shows the icon, name, size, version, etc. of the application. I want a version number to show up there (and in the Get Info window, etc.)

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 1:28 PM

8 replies

Jun 21, 2011 2:30 PM in response to Austin Kinsella1

No you don't.

Ctrl-click the app in the Finder and select 'Show Package Contents' and navigate to Contents/Info.plist

This is a .plist file that contains data about your application. You can edit this with any application capable of editing .plists and add either a 'Bundle version' or a 'Bundle version string, short' key with the value you want.

Sure, XCode can add this resource automatically as you build your app, but it isn't a prerequesite.

Mar 12, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Camelot

Posting to this old post, but I am trying above method on my 10.8.2 machine and it doesn't seem to work.

I added the bundle version string as in the attached image.

Recompile my app, saved it but still version info doesn't show up in finder.

Also, tried to change "Bundle version" to "CFBundle version". But still didn't work.

Any suggestions?

User uploaded file

Mar 13, 2013 6:21 AM in response to hary5366

There are two keys to note here:

• Bundle Version (CFBundleVersion): the full version number (often used by developers to identify individual builds)
  • Bundle Versions String, Short (CFBundleShortVersionString): the string representation of CFBundleVersion that appears in the Get Info dialog.

It's easy to get them confused.

How can I set a version number for an AppleScript application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.