Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson Stylus Pro 3800 and Lion

When Snow Leopard came out it required a roll back of the Epson 3800 driver to a rosetta driver. While the driver has been updated it is unclear if it still requires rosetta. The apple knowledge base doesn't show a Lion driver for either the 3800 or 3880.

For me that is a deal breaker or at least delayer.

Does anyone know if that is a real problem?

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 2:16 PM

15 replies

Jun 21, 2011 9:26 PM in response to sig

I disagree - Apple has used nonRosetta applications for Leopard and Snow Leopard so there has been plenty of time for manufacturers to provide non Rosetta drivers. Clearly Epson must know if there drivers require Rosetta or not, and if not they can indicate if they plan to provide a non Rosetta driver.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - it looks like i certainly can't plan to upgrade for a while. Epson's site is completely non helpful - it was clear that at least initially their Snow Leopard driver's required Rosetta. It is unclear if their revised drivers still require Rosetta.

I feel that if they call something a professional level printer they should be able to provide clear answers to that question. If they wait until people install Lion and then need to scream for help then they will have some unhappy campers.

I do appreciate your taking the time to respond - my worry is with a lack or responsiveness and clarity on the part of Epson.

Jun 22, 2011 1:44 AM in response to waldhaus1

There's nothing to disagree about. All I'm saying is that you will need to wait until Lion is released to what issues there are. Anything discussed beyond what information Apple has released about Lion is just speculation. Al bet it may be right but it is still not confirmed. You have options and you can contact Epson directly.

Jul 22, 2011 6:18 AM in response to waldhaus1

Epson's Stylus 3800 6.11 drivers are not yet Lion-compatible (I suspect the printing plugins are the issue, since that's what stops the printing process for me). Lion doesn't ship with a compatible Epson driver, however there is a hidden beta driver from Epson here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supportLion.jsp

and I've had absolutely no trouble using the latest GutenPrint drivers with Lion and the Epson 3800:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Jul 23, 2011 1:05 AM in response to Jagged Edge

My Epson 3880 doens't work either with Lion; I've posted a discussion on the board and the only answers I have had are people complaining that their Epson 3880 don't work either... Neither Apple nor Epson seem very helpful, although it appears to be Epson's problem; for the time being it is a real pain for users like us...

Jul 23, 2011 6:01 AM in response to Marc P

Hi, I followed the suggested instructions above and to my disappointment, the drivers just don't cut it.

So much of the functionality of the previous drivers is missing. The extra contol you get with a thousand pound printer was what I paid the money for just isn't there. Not to mention the fact that my first test print on A3 was supposed to be centred and half of it missed the sheet. This is so frustrating. Thankfully my business is not dependent on prints today but is will no doubt be shortly. I'm sure there are others that are loosing money and business because of this **** up. I can't even install from disc as Lion no longer supports the software and to cap it all, no warning from Apple!

The lion update is awful in my opinion. So far, there is NOTHING I consider an improvement. I would say that I would happily pay another £20.99 to go back to Snow Leopard.

So, Apple, how to I down grade?

Jul 23, 2011 9:58 AM in response to waldhaus1

It seems to me that Sigs answer of not being an early adopter has been proven correct. One does wonder why epson doesn't support a pro level printer with meticulous attention to keeping the drivers updated. There are apparently many none pro level epson printers that don't require Rosetta to run.

Probably the best solution to this will be a Rosetta add on for Lion. It took Epson over a year to get a Snow Leopard compatible driver for the 3800.

Apparently they aren't great at supporting printer drivers for either Window or the Mac - a friend as a 48xx without access to vista drivers and apparently no prospect that one will be developed. It is a 5-6 year old printer.

Aug 31, 2011 7:01 PM in response to waldhaus1

I got a MacBook air with Lion and was able to install the 3800 drivers on that machine. I then decided to convert my macbook pro to Lion. To get the 3800 drivers to work I had to uninstall the 3800, then download the new network driver as well as the printer driver and the general updater. I installed first the driver, then the web updater and finally the network config utility. I restarted the machine and was able to reinstall the 3800. (I first installed with the printer connected by USB, printed a file, then disconnected the USB, and did an IP install over the wireless network.) I was able to print using the wireless network as well. So at this point I would say there is no problem using the 3800 with Lion as long as the older installations are removed and the latest drivers from epson are installed. I have the same printer dialogs as Leopard and SnowLeopard (platten management, color management, etc.)

Sep 8, 2011 3:32 PM in response to waldhaus1

How to install the print drivers for the Epson 3800 to work with Lion.

I got this from Epson in an email. It worked beautifully. Why it's not on their web site is a mystery.

Go to System Preferences and double click on Print & Scan icon. Highlight and delete the StylusPro3800 by clicking on the Minus button.

Go to the Application folder and trash the Epson Printer Utilities 2 or 3. Go to the Hard Drive, Library folder, Printers folder and trash the EPSON folder.

Next, go back to the Library folder, then the Receipts folder and trash the EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg file if one is present. Restart the computer.

Go to this link to reinstall the Drivers:

Printer Driver - v6.11

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid= 79928&prodoid=63062509&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh

After installing the driver, restart the computer. Go to the Print & Scan to check if the driver installed automatically. If so, delete from the list and manually re-add the printer and test.

If you continue to have problems then it would be best for us to assist with your issue while on the phone and you can access the printer and computer. Please call our technical support at (562) 276-1305. We are open from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm , PST, Monday through Friday.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please reply without history (when possible), as our email system contains all previous correspondence. If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another email request via our website (http://www.epson.com/support), and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Epson Stylus Pro 3800 and Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.