Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have two languages available in dictionary app on my macbook?

I would like to have a spanish dictionary available as well as the preinstalled english dictionary.

Macbook Pro

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 2:23 PM

13 replies

Jun 22, 2011 4:09 PM in response to sgquest

StarDict was always just a poor repackaging of other dictionaries. There are many source dictionaries on the XDXF site. They are almost all translation dictionaries. I've never bothered to convert those because Google would do a better job.

There is a CD version of the Real Academia Diccionario de la Lengua Española, but it is both PowerPC and Java. I don't know how they managed that. It will not integrate with Dictionary.app and is likely to be a real dog.

It is very hard to find plug-ins for Dictionary.app. You need to have someone commited to publishing it and most people who do that don't want to publish it in Dictionary.app format because 1) they've never heard of MACS or 2) they are (somewhat justifiably) worried about digital rights. So, all the best content is locked up in horrible stand-alone programs. I wish all such groups were as freedom-loving and technologically incompentent as l'Académie Française - then I could fix you up.

Jun 22, 2011 7:43 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

iRae is only 2 MB. It must be using a web interface so that is totally different.

It would be nice if Apple could open up the iPad for things like this. Getting dictionaries on the iPad would enable them to keep their digital rights but get them one step closer to Dictionary.app on the Mac. All 3rd party dictionaries on iOS must be stand-alone apps. Dictionary.app is a great idea, but it just isn't catching on. It's too bad because it is really cool technology.

Jun 23, 2011 4:40 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

That's an important point. It is a web app. But then, so is Wikipedia. I am going to look into that.

I don't know why there isn't a built-in Spanish dictionary. It could be due to licensing costs. But then, Apple includes an English dictionary. Perhaps if the demand were large enough, there would be a Spanish one too. Let Apple know there is a demand: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Can I have two languages available in dictionary app on my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.