Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roundtrip Motion 5 from Final Cut X?

It would seem that I can't figure out how to send a clip from Final Cut X to Motion 5? I can open effects from FCX in Motion 5 to edit them, but cannot send video clips themselves. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 2:26 PM

25 replies

Jun 22, 2011 11:24 AM in response to Brice Unland

I'm trying to do exactly the reverse and import Motion animations into the Final Cut Pro X timeline. It used to be a case of simply dropping the Motion file onto the timeline and FCP would render out the results. It seems like this is no longer possible. In fact I can't even import a Motion file at all. How do you get animations into FCP these days?

Jun 22, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Brice Unland

This is the "new and improved" workflow to use a motion file in FCPX:

1. Open Motion
  2. Open your file
  3. Go to "File -> Publish Template"
  4. Enter a Name and chose a category
  5. Select "Publish as Final Cut Generator"
  6. Hit "Publish"
  7. Lose every reference to the original source media, as everything will be copied into your movies directory
  8. Restart Final Cut Pro X (it does not pick up new generators without restarting)
  9. Go to your Generators Browser and drag your file to your project

I too don't understand why Apple removed the "1. Locate file in Finder, 2. Drag to your project" and "1. Click send to motion, 2. Done" workflow.

Man I'm still raging about this s**t.

Jun 22, 2011 4:16 PM in response to Mark Spencer4

Yeah, that's a big problem/step backwards in functionality. I really only have two issues with FCPX, this one, and lack of xml/.omf/.aaf export. Couldn't care less about tape support, I'm sure external monitoring is coming soon, as are updated plugins (FxPlug 2? Is that a real thing?)

But those two issues make it virtually impossible for me to do anything in FCPX.

Was FCP 1.0 this (pardon the phrase) useless when it first came out? Before my time, I started on FCP 4.5.

Roundtrip Motion 5 from Final Cut X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.