Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I record the sustain?

Hi,

I'm trying to record a piano loop with the sustain on, but it doesn't seem to record the state of the sustain switch when it records. If I save the song and then reload it, the sustain switch has reset to the off position.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 4.2, 16GB

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 1:19 PM

Hmm, I've just tried recording a small section of piano with sustain on while playing the keys with brief taps, followed by another section without sustain. The recording is correct if played from the tracks layout, although if I invoke the keyboard the sustain key is turned off as you found. If I adjust the sustain switch during playback I can make a section recorded with sustain play without it and vice versa, but once I go back to the tracks menu, or just leave it playing on repeat, the two sections play as they were recorded, one with with sustain and one without.

I also recorded another section turning sustain on and off as I played. Again playback is as recorded with certain notes sustained while others are brief even though all my key presses were of a similar duration.

In short I think it works as it is supposed to, but if you go back to re-record or add to a passage then you will need to set sustain manually if you need it.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Jowie

Hmm, I've just tried recording a small section of piano with sustain on while playing the keys with brief taps, followed by another section without sustain. The recording is correct if played from the tracks layout, although if I invoke the keyboard the sustain key is turned off as you found. If I adjust the sustain switch during playback I can make a section recorded with sustain play without it and vice versa, but once I go back to the tracks menu, or just leave it playing on repeat, the two sections play as they were recorded, one with with sustain and one without.

I also recorded another section turning sustain on and off as I played. Again playback is as recorded with certain notes sustained while others are brief even though all my key presses were of a similar duration.

In short I think it works as it is supposed to, but if you go back to re-record or add to a passage then you will need to set sustain manually if you need it.

tt2

Jun 22, 2011 2:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Yeah I tried again doing it manually, didn't realise you could just hold it down for sustain. It's a shame if you can't record sustain in its locked position, seems a bit silly to have the lock if it doesn't work all of the time...?

Anyway thanks for your help.

And I think you've passed the turing test 🙂

Jun 22, 2011 3:55 PM in response to Jowie

I think you've missed the point. All the notes I recorded with the sustain switch in the right hand position recorded with sustain. Those recorded with the switch in left position recored without. All notes were brief taps on the keys. If I go back and open another song, or switch to another app and then go back to the recording the sustain has been recorded. Presumably it will work the same way for you.

tt2

Jun 23, 2011 1:32 PM in response to Jowie

Perhaps you need to reset the iPad.

This is the view of a brief recording looped in GB, the first group of 5 notes have sustain, the next 5 don't. The short horizontal length of the notes shows that all have been generated by short stabs at the keys. Sustain is preserved when I switch projects, shut down the iPad etc.

User uploaded file

I'm no musician so apologies in advance but this link is to a recording of the output which shows, I hope, that I'm not imagining it.

tt2

Jun 23, 2011 3:19 PM in response to Jowie

Jowie wrote:

Oh no, that's not what happened for me at all. These are the steps I took:

1. Lock the sustain in the ON position.
  2. Press record

A possible solution occurred to me. Perhaps you have to do these two in the other order so that the sustain is registered as being depressed after the recording starts.

Try

1. Press record.
  2. Press sustain (and lock if required) as the track counts in. Might need to be pressing the button as the recording proper starts
  3. As before, etc.

tt2

How do I record the sustain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.