6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2011 3:21 AM by RedHavoc
fearless Level 6 (9,520 points)

Can someone please tell me if FCP X exports QuickTimes with full levels (up to 107%ish) or does it clip in order to produce "legal" results? Because downstream grading on a clipped output is pointless... Someone please?

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Tangent panels, Avid Nitris DX
  • fearless Level 6 (9,520 points)

Don't worry, I've bought it and will find out for myself. Busy weekend ahead of exploratory surgery on these apps.

• RedHavoc Level 3 (770 points)

Please update when you have discovered!

• Stockholm Level 1 (120 points)

I´m really interested in that as well.

So please tell us you when you know.

Cheers

Hans

• fearless Level 6 (9,520 points)

The answer is yes, it will produce full height QuickTimes that can roll into a grade elsewhere, and presumably the DPX and OpenEXR outputs are fine although I haven't looked at them specifically.

The issue is now to find a way within the innards of FCP X to derive an edl from something... I can't bear the though of manually adding cuts on a long form project in a grade. Of course there are "optical" tools for this - I once used CatDV for the purpose, when FinalTouch was very broken - but it's a bit of a crazy workaround.

I know half of you will never believe this but I had never opened iMovie (why should I?) but a colleague tells me it all feels deeply familiar. Which means if we crack this, we can work with a decade of home videos too! I'm so excited! This is incredible!

• Stockholm Level 1 (120 points)

That sounds great.

Thank you.

Cheers

Hans

• RedHavoc Level 3 (770 points)

Nice one for investigating this dude!