Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from backup issue- contacts and pictures deleted

I seem to have screwed up but I hope someone can help me out!

I got a new iphone 4 yesterday from Verizon and they put all of my contacts from my old phone onto my new iphone.

Before I got home I took some pictures and edited my contacts a bit and then when I got home I connected my iphone to my new pc's itunes.

Before syncing or anything I used home sharing to copy my library over to my new computer because I had not used itunes on it yet but had itunes on a previous computer which both of my ipods were synced to.

Anyway, I connect my iphone and instead of selecting "Create new device" or whatever I selected restore from backup and used my ipod as the device.

Come to find out, this deleted my contacts and the pictures I had taken earlier in the day.

I was wondering if there was any way to get my contacts back and my pictures back.. I can't seem to find a backup for before I did the "restore from backup" when I connected my iphone for the first time. I don't know why it didn't create a backup.. that just sounds stupid.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

iPhone 4

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:52 PM

1 reply

Jun 22, 2011 12:56 AM in response to NSergent

"Restore from backup" works when you want restore a device to the state it was when backed up. You restored from a backup that (obviously) hasn't in it your edited contacts, nor the photos you take, it ended up with a device without them. I guess restore done its job.

It didn't a backup because if you want restore a device, it means you don't want its state as is. If you want a backup, there is an option "Backup" just one line above the "Restore from Backup" you used.

Then, every time you sync your device, a backup is performed automatically (you can also skip backup on sync, but it needs your intervention to say you don't want backup).

Your contacts and pictures, without a backup, are now lost for good. That is the reason backups are important. Do them whenever you can.

Restore from backup issue- contacts and pictures deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.