Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my "apple software updates" language?

How do I change my apple software updates language. The window that pops up with software updates and downloads. When there is a new software for iTunes the update language is in Spanish. My iTunes is in English but I cannot figure out how to change software updates to English?

Hope this makes sense and someone can help 🙂

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:38 PM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2011 12:27 AM in response to AbbeyMay

Let's see if the Repair install trick works on ASU as well as iTunes. (In recent times, it's been helping with iTunes that are "stuck on English".)

If you're on XP, head into your Add or Remove Programs control panel. Select Apple Software Update, click "Change" and then click "Repair".

iF you're on Vista or 7, head into your Uninstalla program control panel, select Apple Software Update and then click "Repair".

Does the repair go through okay? If so, try running your Apple Software Update. Is it not-Spanish now?

Sep 1, 2011 12:37 PM in response to AbbeyMay

here is a fairly quick work-around

in windows explorer find the Apple Software Update folder in program files or programFiles (x86)

goto the "SoftwareUpdate.Resources" folder

1. sub folder "en.lproj" then right click the "SoftwareUpdateLocalized.dll" file and copy

2. goto the folder of the language the ASU is using example "zh_CN.lproj" for chinese and right click the "SoftwareUpdateLocalized.dll" to "SoftwareUpdateLocalized.bak"

3.then paste <ctrl+v> "SoftwareUpdateLocalized.dll" from the "en.lproj" folder into the "zh_CH.lproj" folder

Next repeat the same process for the "SoftwareUpdateFiles.Resources"

goto the "SoftwareUpdateFiles.Resources" folder

1. sub folder "en.lproj" then right click the "SoftwareUpdateFilesLocalized.dll" file and copy

2. goto the folder of the language the ASU is using example "zh_CN.lproj" for chinese and right click the "SoftwareUpdateFilesLocalized.dll" to "SoftwareUpdateFilesLocalized.bak"

3.then paste <ctrl+v> "SoftwareUpdateFilesLocalized.dll" from the "en.lproj" folder into the "zh_CH.lproj" folder

run ASU and you should now see everything in english at least until ASU updates itself.

Former apple advisor

Apr 1, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Dragonclaw

This is completely idiotic, and Apple has a huge problem with I18N. If I live in a different country, where the official language is different from English, I don't see why Apple Update should decide to use an unwanted language or require me to do all this hacking around to change the language...

Purely idiotic, just like the idea of having separate iTunes marketplaces for each country; even if I want local free apps in multiple countries I have to maintain a host of different apple accounts, each with its own credit card data (one for each country I travel to!) in order to get and update my FREE apps.

How do I change my "apple software updates" language?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.