Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTPS (TLS) via command line

I'd like to know if it's possible to initiate an FTP (with TLS) connection from the command line. I know that FTP is available from the command line, but I'm not sure how to enable TLS, if it's even available.

My goal is to write an Automator workflow that securely uploads the content of a chosen folder to an FTP server. I currently use a third-party action called "Upload to FTP", but I don't think it uses the TLS protocol.

15, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 4:59 AM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2011 6:17 AM in response to brian_c

If you're simply looking for secure file transfers and are not specifically seeking ftps (ftp over tls/ssl), then have a look at ssh (for interactive access) and sftp (for secure file transfers over ssh). Both ssh and sftp can be set up with certificates, and are securely encrypted. There are ftps clients around for Mac OS X (eg: FileZilla, Cyberduck), but command-line sftp is built in.

FTPS (TLS) via command line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.